• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Copyright - Star Wars

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copyright - Star Wars

Is it against copyright/whatever law to use Star Wars terminology as a business name?

e.g. Take the fictional planet in Star Wars, called Tatooine. Would it be safe to call a business Tatooine Computers Ltd?
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    Is it against copyright/whatever law to use Star Wars terminology as a business name?

e.g. Take the fictional planet in Star Wars, called Tatooine. Would it be safe to call a business Tatooine Computers Ltd?
    There is only one way to be absolutely sure but it may cost you a large solicitors bill.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
      Would it be safe to call a business Tatooine Computers Ltd?
      IANAL, but it could be risky because even though it MIGHT be legal, owners of Star Wars are known to be very protective of their IP rights.

Ask a solicitor - there might be some established precedents on this matter in the UK.

Comment

Death Star Ltd is my companies name. not been sued yet.

Comment

Originally posted by proggy View Post
          They could be going for "Force-choke him to death" route in this case
          Last edited by AtW; 15 May 2013, 13:15.

Comment

And your real name is Lord Vadar, right?
            Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

I've seen companies with names from books before, and there was no objection (but they may simply not have noticed). There was a pub recently that had to change it's name due to some Lord of Rings legal issue I believe.

However I've also seen company names vaguely similar to the name Java who were jumped on within a week and forced to change their name due to potential breach of copyright/confusion. I suspect Java have a legitimate business interest to protect though so pretending to be affiliated to them is likely to raise objections.
              ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Brown Star Ltd is my companies name. not been sued yet.
                Based on your posts I have fixed your company name to suit.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Tulip Star Ltd is my companies name. not been sued yet.
                  Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Based on your posts I have fixed your company name to suit.
                  Based on his posts I don't think you were direct enough.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
                    I've seen companies with names from books before, and there was no objection (but they may simply not have noticed). There was a pub recently that had to change it's name due to some Lord of Rings legal issue I believe.
                    "The Hobbit" in Southampton, used to be one of my regular haunts in uni days, with cocktails imaginatively named Legolas, Gollum, Aragorn etc

It made the local rag a while ago, I believe they were sued but don't know the details...looking at their website it doesn't look like they changed their name.

Comment

Working...
                    X