• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rekjavik

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rekjavik

Anyone been - thinking of doing a bit of culture for my 40th birthday later in the year....

Any good?

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Anyone been - thinking of doing a bit of culture for my 40th birthday later in the year....

Any good?
    Hire a car from the airport. Don't get a taxi. The cost of the taxi is more than the car hire.

Expect crap accommodation at exorbitant prices.

Food is expensive

And if you go out in the evening the place is dead to about 11.30 and then if like me and the missus you head home, an hour later you're looking out the window wondering why the previously deserted streets now look like Mardi Gras (they all get pissed at home and then go out later as its so expensive)

Beautiful country though. 3 days visit is more than enough.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I was there in 2000 before financial meltdown. As MF said it was all of the above but I think things are a bit different (cheaper) now.

Good to visit though.

Not sure I would class it as a cultural visit unless you count the Icelandic Phallological Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

3 days is enough

Comment

cheers fella's

3 days was the plan so that seems okay!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          And if you go out in the evening the place is dead to about 11.30 and then if like me and the missus you head home, an hour later you're looking out the window wondering why the previously deserted streets now look like Mardi Gras (they all get pissed at home and then go out later as its so expensive)
          Went there on a field trip when I was at poly, all funded by the great British taxpayer. Needless to say, I didn't go to bed at 1130pm. One place where the stereotype of fit blonde women who are up for it seems to be true, as long as everyone's had enough to drink. Mind you, I might have had my beer goggles on.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Yep, did it last year. Really enjoyed it. Not worth hiring a car - get the Flybus from the airport - book in advance.

Definitely do the golden circle tour (we went with Horizon - a smaller, but highly recommended company) and the Blue Lagoon. Then spend a day wandering around Reykjavik itself.

Comment

Went to Iceland last week. Found it quite impressive especially the food. What struck me was the toilet rolls; only £1.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                Went to Iceland last week. Found it quite impressive especially the food. What struck me was the toilet rolls; only £1.
                I live a few doors away from an Iceland; it's even got the same postcode.

But I'm a contractor, so I've never been in

Comment

Holiday snap.

What time of year are you going?

Comment

I haven't been to Iceland. But my mum's been..

Comment

Working...
                    X