• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Left vs right - the unfillable gulf

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Left vs right - the unfillable gulf

Been looking at all these "Daily Mail" arguments people keep starting on CUK recently.

What is left or right? One can focus on details like belief in a national identity, universal care etc. etc. but it seems to me that these are just symptoms of a fundamental psychological difference.

Some on here I would regard as a bit lefty do put forward some extremely good arguments but, in my view, they are very intellectual and rather remote. The left are more likely to look for underlying reasons, to be concerned with a much wider picture in terms of time and space, more concerned about mankind in general, more into historical perspectives - hence the all too common references to Saxons in the context of immigration. Us righties, on the other hand, look at the here and now and we ask "How does this affect me and mine and, if it's a problem, what can I do to stop it?"

You could say the latter is just selfishness but the reality is that the left is equally intolerant, those who are adversely affected by their pursuit of their ideals are dismissed as unavoidable casualties. The effect of the global market on our jobs, the formation of the Eurozone without proper regulation or commonality of economies, the impact of immigration in inner city areas etc.

It seems to me that there should be a halfway house and the main solutions are to go much slower and to work with human nature as it is, not how we would like it to be. Some leftist ideals, like a United Europe or one world are great in principle, the real problem is the rush to implement them. Had we expanded the EU at a much slower pace, required countries to raise their GDP per capita before allowing free movement, required them to reform their economies before allowing them into the Eurozone, it would all be working a lot better. Now the resentments that were largely dead have all been stirred up again and the whole project is in peril.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 15 May 2013, 20:18.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Is it not the 'righties' who tell us the undesirable side effects of globalization are all for the greater good?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Yes, the rich and the global companies are probably far more responsible in practice for many problems we have. However, this does not negate my theory of different left/right mentalities as they are selfish buggers looking out for themselves.

All inputs welcome. I hope to complete my universal theory of mankind by next Tuesday.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

There is no real "left" "right".

See here:
        The Political Compass
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Interesting post. I will give you my considered opinion in the morning.

Comment

Me, me, me...

Comment

Bit Americanised... but you get the gist
              HTH
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Sweeping generalisation follows:

I think that lefties want to make the world a better place, but aren't sufficiently prepared for those who will take advantage at every opportunity.

I think that righties assume everybody will want to take advantage and 'play the system' when in fact the majority will play fair.

If the gulf is unfillable, it's the fault of those who seek to polarise those views instead of looking for the common ground. Or maybe that's just me being leftie.

Comment

The Left and Right are dead in this country, bigger battles are coming. I'll get my tinfoil hat.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Half the left believe the same thing as half the right. Look at Europe. Half of the Tories and half of Labour want out, the other halves want in. Reasons slightly different, but same outcome.

Trade Unionists want their members to be better off, as do capitalists. They just have differing views on who should pay.

Comment

Working...
                    X