• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Uilleann Pipes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uilleann Pipes

Love them, best thing about being in Ireland! This is good when it gets going!

Perhaps my favourite instrument.

Me, me, me...

Comment

Can you play them Clippy? Me and my bro back the 80's bought a practice set, £500 even then and scarcely managed to get a squeak out of them! So effing difficult, think we swapped them for something else...

Have a yearning to have another go - in fact, while I'm here........

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Can you play them Clippy? Me and my bro back the 80's bought a practice set, £500 even then and scarcely managed to get a squeak out of them! So effing difficult, think we swapped them for something else...

Have a yearning to have another go - in fact, while I'm here........
        Yeah, bought a practice set and gave it a real shot but just didn't get there.

I now have samples
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
          Yeah, bought a practice set and gave it a real shot but just didn't get there.

I now have samples
          Practice set is soo hard, bellows, bag, chanter and popping strap, God knows how you can manage enough blow for drones and use your lower arm on the regulators on the full set!

Comment

Practice set is soo hard, bellows, bag, chanter and popping strap, God knows how you can manage enough blow for drones and use your lower arm on the regulators on the full set!
            Minimum seven year apprenticeship apparently and that with tuition before moving on to the full set.

I can play just about anything but my favourite instrument is a closed door despite trying so when writing and recording I use samples to get close to the sound I want. So I have a set of uillean pipe samples that come close with some manipulation.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
              Minimum seven year apprenticeship apparently and that with tuition before moving on to the full set.

I can play just about anything but my favourite instrument is a closed door despite trying so when writing and recording I use samples to get close to the sound I want. So I have a set of uillean pipe samples that come close with some manipulation.
              Trouble with sampling tho is you don't get the grace notes that don't quite work or the pinch harmonics on guitar that you get by accident and claim you did it on purpose!!

Comment

Trouble with sampling tho is you don't get the grace notes that don't quite work or the pinch harmonics on guitar that you get by accident and claim you did it on purpose!!
                You got it, takes a ton of work and will never sound quite right. Closest I can get though.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Love them, best thing about being in Ireland! This is good when it gets going!
                  Do you need six fingers on each hand to play them?
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                  X