• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The EU question question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The EU question question

OK looks like they have found a scapegoat, what should be the question they ask?

"Do you think that the United Kingdom should remain a member of the European Union?" is the wording of the question that would appear on ballot papers, according to the proposed bill.

Personally I think that its a bit stark. Its in / out when its more complex than that.

I turn it over to smarter minds than me that have visited Cambridge.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

You are either an EU member or not.

Simple as.

We are, Norway isn't for example.

Comment

That message seems to be directed at simpletons, so will probably be perfectly adequate for the majority of the voting public.
      But we could get some advance intel by asking Old Hick for his thoughts!!

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

My question is about the 'you'. Who are they intending to ask? UK residents, British citizens with voting rights, or are they going to include the millions of British citizens who live abroad, especially in the EU, many of whom lost their voting rights thanks chiefly to Tony B Lyingtulipface and who are likely to be most affected by the result?
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

How about an essay question? Then you could disqualify the votes of anyone that can't put forward a reasoned argument and are just ticking the box the Daily Mail told them to tick.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I'm in favour of 'out' of the EU. But out of the EU leaves many questions unanswered when it comes to trade, workers' rights, environment.

I would like to see an Act of Settlement addressing this to he put alongside the withdrawal question: stay in the EU or replace it with this set of regulations. Then it is clear what the alternatives are.

Without that, I will probably vote to remain in, dislike it as I do, because I don't know what the alternative will look like.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              My question is about the 'you'. Who are they intending to ask? UK residents, British citizens with voting rights, or are they going to include the millions of British citizens who live abroad, especially in the EU, many of whom lost their voting rights thanks chiefly to Tony B Lyingtulipface and who are likely to be most affected by the result?
              I am sure it will be voters qualified to vote in general elections. I think that is British, Commonwealth and Irish citizens resident in UK, and British citizens overseas with rights to vote in general elections.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                I am sure it will be voters qualified to vote in general elections. I think that is British, Commonwealth and Irish citizens resident in UK, and British citizens overseas with rights to vote in general elections.
                And thereby excluding millions or people who will be most affected by any change to the status, because an awful lot of British citizens overseas don't have those rights. How very democratic.

Or is it really the case that the anti-EU lot don't want British expats to be asked because they think they know what the answer will be?
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  I'm in favour of 'out' of the EU. But out of the EU leaves many questions unanswered when it comes to trade, workers' rights, environment.

I would like to see an Act of Settlement addressing this to he put alongside the withdrawal question: stay in the EU or replace it with this set of regulations. Then it is clear what the alternatives are.

Without that, I will probably vote to remain in, dislike it as I do, because I don't know what the alternative will look like.
                  that was the angle I was looking for thanks.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The referendum is useless because it doesn't answer the other question: What happens practically after we leave the EU?

The Little England simpletons think that leaving the EU means shutting the borders and kicking the bloody foreigners out, but who has the balls to tell them it's more complicated than that?
                    <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Working...
                    X