• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The future of Britain outside the EU ....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The future of Britain outside the EU ....

...I'm will to concede that economically it may make little difference i.e. we would continue our relative decline, but what is interesting is that the Yanks are making it very clear that the "special relationship" is over if we leave:

Stay at heart of Europe, US tells Britain - FT.com

So does that mean we will decline into insignificance politically around the world?
    And is it a bad thing if we stop being the world's junior policeman?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

The only "special relationship" is the one you have with your right hand.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      The only "special relationship" is the one you have with your right hand.
      You leave "Righty" alone.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

The EU as it stands is probably going to fall to bits anyway. The important question is not how it works now or whether it's worth being in it right now, but what comes in it's place and who's going to be playing a part in forming that. Get out now and you're not likely to be part of forming the replacement.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

If America thinks it's so great for us to be in the EU, then they can stump up the £50 million/day we need to pay into it..

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
            If America thinks it's so great for us to be in the EU, then they can stump up the £50 million/day we need to pay into it..
            WHS.

Print us some USD you chunts!

Comment

The American's may wish the UK to remain in the EU but there is no way they'd accept the regulations from the EU in their own country.

Employment rights? Working Time directive?

And yes I do think it's time we stopped fighting other peoples wars.

Here's an interesting stat.

The UK Defence budget is approx £60B per year. The German defence budget is £40B ( for "historic reasons" )

However there are more Germans than UK tax payers and the tax rate is about the same so all in all the UK taxpayer must be paying at least 60 - 70% more for defence than the average German.

What do the Germans spend the extra tax on? World class infrastructure. We spend ours on bombs. The German taxpayer can ride around in his nice train for 20 years. We can only bomb someone once.

If the UK cut the Defence budget to £40B and stepped out of the EU we'd be able to afford a HS2 AND Channel tunnel every year AND direct the spending to UK based companies to rebuild our manufacturing capability.

It would also have the up-side of making the Germans divert more of their cash into their own defence which would make them less competitive. Although I do admit this could have some unforeseen circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                If the UK cut the Defence budget to £40B and stepped out of the EU we'd be able to afford a HS2 AND Channel tunnel every year
                Yes but do we really need all those tunnels? And to France of all places?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                  I think Mr Obamarama is a pretty smart guy, and he realises that the EU is a mess right now; I think he also believes, just as I do, that the way it's going is going to fail and that something will need to be formed in its place; EU2.0 could be brilliant if Britain's involved. It might even include North America in a huge free trade deal.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Not too clear what this special relationship ever gave us anyway. No support over the Falklands. BP bashing from Obummer. The US serves itself and our value only seems to be being stupid enough to spend fortunes backing their idiotic military ventures. Going back, it was the US that scuppered Suez. We had to repay all our WW2 loans, unlike Germany.

Can't say I have researched it so if anyone does know what we have ever got from it please feel free to inform me.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X