• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh dear: Teenage motherhood.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear: Teenage motherhood.

Many teenage girls see having a baby as a better option than a low-paid "dead-end" job, research has found.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5186614.stm

Full story from the BBC.

The study, for the Joseph Rowntree Foundation suggested girls as young as 13 choose motherhood to be independent and to create "a loving family".

The researchers said their findings show teenagers are not ignorant about contraception, as is often assumed, and actively plan to have a baby.

The UK's teen pregnancy rate, the highest in Western Europe, is falling. The research, carried out by the Trust for the Study of Adolescence, was based on interviews with 51 young mothers and fathers aged 13-22 living in six deprived areas of England.

Areas of deprivation and poverty have the highest rates of teenage pregnancy.

The Joseph Rowntree Foundation said the government had made cutting teenage conception rates a priority - but has focused on unplanned, accidental teenage pregnancies and not considered those who 'plan' their pregnancies.

The study found that many of those who became pregnant as teenagers had wanted to compensate for their own bad experiences as childhood.

They said that if they had not become a parent, their life would become worse because of continued family disruption and unhappiness.

In many cases, teenagers understood how contraception worked but did not know that their age group had a high fertility rate.

Information 'key'

Many girls talked about their love for babies. One 18-year-old said: "Everybody said I'd make a good mum. I knew exactly what I was doing when I got pregnant."

Young men often mentioned wanting to provide a "father-figure" for a child - contrary to their experience.

But they were much more likely to regret their decision later.

Suzanne Cater, who wrote the report, said: "Highlighting the fact that not all teenage pregnancies are unplanned will help address support needs currently not being met.

"Using teenagers who wish they had delayed parenthood could also help inform young people who may have potentially unrealistic expectations of parenthood."

But Gill Frances, Chairwoman of the Independent Advisory Group on Teenage Pregnancy - set up to advise the government on its teenage pregnancy strategy - said: "It is important to recognise that most young women, with the right support, make good mums. That is not the issue.

"The issue is that if they had waited a bit longer they would have got settled and become much more independent." She said it was important to give young people information about sexual heath and contraceptive services.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

I don't blame them to be honest.

The culture in this country is heading that way and I'm ashamed to say that being a slacker is starting to look appealing rather than being raped consistently by the "system" for working hard and honestly.
    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

I see a contractual opportunity!........
      Sperm donor for these girls...I would obviously put a disclaimer on any flyers sent out!

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix
        I see a contractual opportunity!........
        Sperm donor for these girls...I would obviously put a disclaimer on any flyers sent out!
        You'd have the CSA after you like a Benny Hill show clip.
        Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey

That is why I mention a disclaimer

Comment

Unless pf course

Originally posted by TheMonkey
            You've had a vasectomy............
            Why not?

Comment

Working...
            X