• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Partial Identity Theft

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partial Identity Theft

Someone bought, 4 – Vodafone, 2- O2 and 2 – Tesco mobile contracts on my name and address. So in December 2012, I started receiving letter one after other in a week!

As I understand, they only have my:
    - Full Name
    - Address
    - DOB

They don’t have:
    - Bank Details
    - Credit card details etc

After that I kept on calling all these companies and explained them and also asked them how can they give out mobiles without checking bank details?? No answer there…

Vodafone was the first to sort out and close my account with apology letter. Tesco followed them and O2 were last. (Yes they took 6 months!).

Apart from the fact that O2 passed my details to debt collector before confirming that this was fraud transaction and now Debt collectors are chasing me. (Either o2 did not bother to inform debt collector or debt collector are retards…)

I guess, I will talk to debt collectors and sort out, but what else should I be doing? As I understand this is partial identity theft.

In case of identity theft, you change your bank details order new CC etc, but in this case what do I do? Can’t change my name address etc!

Guess one thing I will do is get credit report from Experian and check nothing is nasty there?
    What else should I do?

(I am a contractor and I had to spend lot of time sorting out this mess…Guess I should get some compensation as well!)

How can they open a mobile contract without a bank account or ccard number?

If they didn't use yours, whose did they use? is it possible to open an account in one name and pay via a bank account of another?
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Who exactly do you want compensation from? If you fell down the stairs and couldn't work due to a broken leg would you want compensation for that too? tulip happens...
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

It's not Identity theft, its failed business processes by a business.

happened to me.

I immediately emailed the company and their customer service , said I was disappointed that they had failed to identify their perspective customer properly. However their failure was nothing to do with me and it was their responsibility to resolve it without involving me.

I advised them I charged £450 a day or part there of and advised them they had 7 days grace otherwise I would charge them for any future contact as I charge customers for consultancy.

If they suggested to anyone else I owed anything I would take them to the regulator & court.

I had an apology in 24 hours and a full letter from them in 2 days.

Do not allow them to make it your problem.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          happened to me.

I immediately emailed the company and their customer service , said I was disappointed that they had failed to identify their perspective customer properly. However their failure was nothing to do with me and it was their responsibility to resolve it without involving me.

I advised them I charged £450 a day or part there of and advised them they had 7 days grace otherwise I would charge them for any future contact as I charge customers for consultancy.

If they suggested to anyone else I owed anything I would take them to the regulator & court.

WHS - same happened to me, as well as e-mails and calls, I sent letters by registered post.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
            How can they open a mobile contract without a bank account or ccard number?

If they didn't use yours, whose did they use? is it possible to open an account in one name and pay via a bank account of another?
            This is exactly my point! The fukers gave some other direct debit details and managed to get contract. I know this coz I got this DD details from O2 and checked they were for some closed account with Santander.

As far as I know T-mobile will never do this coz when I ordered new phone with them they called me and asked me everything about myself since I was born before shipping out new Iphone!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              happened to me.

Similar happened to me...Apple store purchases via Barclays Partner Finance with just my name and address...

Reported to police and kindly told them to only contact me when the fraud was sorted or else!
              Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
                Similar happened to me...Apple store purchases via Barclays Partner Finance with just my name and address...

Reported to police and kindly told them to only contact me when the fraud was sorted or else!
                Apple products seem to be common, I had fraud on my credit card they bought a Apple laptop & delivered to my house. was very difficult to return, actually told apple I was going to charge for storage.

Credit card company were pretty good.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Be sure to check with the major credit reference agencies and get them to remove anything that's been put on their records against your name and address.

IIRC you can also get them to put a marker on your file saying your details have been used fraudulently, which helps stop future occurrences.

Have a look at What to do if you're a victim of identity fraud too.

Comment

Danger of being a company director

Comment

Working...
                    X