• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can you remember...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you remember...

The first computer game you played? No computers that I got access to at uni so I had to wait till I got my ZX81.

Can't quite remember the very first but it was likely some lame effort I spent hours typing in from a magazine listing. I do remember buying a flight sim game that I found amazing but so primitive now.
    Me, me, me...

Aye.

It was on one of these -

105 "bytes" of RAM

Museum of Soviet Calculators - Elektronika MK-61

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Aye.

It was on one of these -

105 "bytes" of RAM

Museum of Soviet Calculators - Elektronika MK-61
      Aye, that reminded me of a device that looked like a calculator but was a dedicated games machine back in the late 70's. I think it had five games all basically the same that were based on LED's dodging characters that scrolled horizontally. Expensive and short lived, not long after came Pong so perhaps that was the first I ever played (in Dixon's who had one hooked up to a 12" portable monochrome telly).
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Dial in over an RJE link from an IBM 370/158 running OS/VS1 to do this: Richard A. Bartle: Early MUD History

I then got one of these: http://www.vintagecalculators.com/ht...rise_prog.html which you could program a simple game into followed by a ZX81 and did what Cliphead did...
        Last edited by darmstadt; 16 May 2013, 19:27.
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

ping pong in the pub in Bootle when I was 17.

A cabinet that was 5 feet high and 2.5 feet wide

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

After programming the ZX81, I was too wacked to play the game. The first real game was on the IBM, Larry the lounge lizard. It was very close to my life at the time, almost a documentary.

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Hunt the Wumpus
              Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

And this one you could sit inside - Star Wars

Me, me, me...

Comment

After ping Pong

...Space Invaders

then came the biggie

Galaxians

followed by Dragons Lair
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                    The first computer game you played? No computers that I got access to at uni so I had to wait till I got my ZX81.

Can't quite remember the very first but it was likely some lame effort I spent hours typing in from a magazine listing. I do remember buying a flight sim game that I found amazing but so primitive now.
                    First computer'ised game I played was Pong.

First computer I owned was a VIC20, and the first game I played was one listed at the back of one of the manuals. No idea what, but some simple Space Invaders thing I think.

EDIT: I had an on-off relationship with games for the next 10 years. Until Doom hit, and then my life just disappeared. Never been the same since.
                    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                    X