• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What estate car?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What estate car?

New baby. Own a BMW 1 series but too small now. Looking for an estate car for about £15k. So far have liked the 3 series estate but as I liked the old Beamer I may be missing better value options. So, big should out to all the dads who need to fill their cars full of tulip.

Originally posted by flambo View Post
    New baby. Own a BMW 1 series but too small now. Looking for an estate car for about £15k. So fat have liked the 3 series estate but as I liked the old Beamer I may be missing better value options. So, big should out to all the dads who need to fill their cars full of tulip.
    Honda Accord

Comment

New baby. Own a BMW 1 series but too small now. Looking for an estate car for about £15k. So far have liked the 3 series estate but as I liked the old Beamer I may be missing better value options. So, big should out to all the dads who need to fill their cars full of tulip.
      I've been looking around too as I want to be able to chuck my racing bike in the back without fannying around taking the wheels off as I ride my bike from clientco to bed and breakfast and back. E-class, whatever series, has a huge luggage space that could probably hold three bikes lying on top of each other; very easy for weekend trips with Lady Tester. Not sure whether the 5 series has so much space; I'll be having a look at one at the weekend, but the guy selling the Benz said it's the biggest luggage space of all estates.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

My next car is going to be a Subaru Legacy, AWD, good spec, reliable, fun to drive and big enough for all the tulipe the kids bring with them.

Long term target (when I am no longer doing 20-30k miles a year so can get a brand new car) is an E-Class ( I think I am getting old ) for pretty much what MTT says, and I think the styling is better than the 5 Series, which just looks curvy and fat, which is only good on a woman not a car.
        Last edited by SimonMac; 17 May 2013, 08:01.
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
          Honda Accord
          got one but that now feels small with 2 kids...

the infinity fx looks nice...
          Join IPSE

Comment

We had a 3 series for 6 months on lease, and even with 'only' 2 kids in the back, it was a nightmare. Wife had an E320CDI estate which was cracking, but with 3 kids in, cramped. If you have more than 3 kids, I'd be looking at a large 4x4/MPV, as even the largest cars, don't have a lot of room in the back.

Wife has just picked up a new R350 and even that has a small middle seat. friend has an S-Max which is surprisingly nice in the middle seats.

Depends what you want really. If you're carrying adults in the back, I'd vote large MPV/4x4 myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
              got one but that now feels small with 2 kids...

the infinity fx looks nice...
              Not that roomy out back, but yes, looks nice.

Comment

lexus rx is a consideration too but not sure i'd want to go back to a petrol (yes I know its hybrid but would want a diesel hybrid)
                Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
                  lexus rx is a consideration too but not sure i'd want to go back to a petrol (yes I know its hybrid but would want a diesel hybrid)
                  Depends on your mileage. We do 10k a year in the wifes car, it's a diesel, and we'd be better off with petrol - cost less to buy, as does the fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
                    Honda Accord
                    The boot on that is Tiny, they dropped a clanger on that one.

I've also been looking at getting a diesel estate, my list so far:

The desired options:
                    5 series (bizzarely same price as a 3 series 2nd hand)
                    A6 (more expensive than the BMW)
                    A4 (big enough but still pricey)
                    E Class (too big?)
                    V70 (still too big?)

The sensible but boring options:
                    Passat (that will save about £4-5 over the desired models)
                    Mondeo (good apparently, but not the bargain you'd expect)
                    Seat Exio (cheap as chips)

I would add the Mazda6 but I've had 2 in a row now... probably get a Passat.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X