• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lest we forget...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lest we forget...

Bit emotive but watching the Dam busters fly past is great for my generation who were bought up on Commando books and Victor comics but the world has moved on

I don't know if the krauts find such celebrations (sic) offensive but at what stage if ever should this kind of display stop?

Does it have any significance for today or should it be left to become something like the 1066 re-enactment societies rather than a state sponsored thing

I'm all for Remembrance parades for the war dead - just not sure of the relevance of this kind of display to today's world
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

it is a good question - I was chatting to the missus about things like this the other week.

Off the back of something on TV about Lenny Henry starring in a new play about a black bin man in 50's middle america - obivously exploring the themes of racism and segregation in that era.

However I was saying to the missus that isn't it about time we moved on - many many plays, books, films etc have done that theme to death.

And her argument was that if we do not will our kids forget/not know what happened

And i guess it is the same question for these things you speak of.

Comment

Good question

It is difficult but I suspect many Germans would appreciate the genius of the solution & the Bravery of those involved. Just as British & Russian soldiers were over awed by the Bravery & resource of many German troops.

Despite the tar & feathers I suspect many Germans fought in WWII to protect their country or because the alternative was death or dishonour for their family. They weren't all raving Nazis and were secretly pleased when the Allies won.

I believe the general situation was similar to Northern Ireland, most people just wanted to get on and live but the IRA/NAZIs were too scary to disobey.

Should we celebrate yes, should we do it modestly and with compassion of course.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

As someone who has both served in the military, as well as being the son of someone who served in WWII, I am all in favour of remembering the valour, as well as the tragedy.

It also depicts the uselessness of war and the hopelessness of Politicians who send young men and women into battle, without ever having had "proper jobs" themselves.
        Last edited by Scruff; 17 May 2013, 10:23. Reason: Spelling...
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Good question

It is difficult but I suspect many Germans would appreciate the genius of the solution & the Bravery of those involved. Just as British & Russian soldiers were over awed by the Bravery & resource of many German troops.

Despite the tar & feathers I suspect many Germans fought in WWII to protect their country or because the alternative was death or dishonour for their family. They weren't all raving Nazis and were secretly pleased when the Allies won.

I believe the general situation was similar to Northern Ireland, most people just wanted to get on and live but the IRA/NAZIs were too scary to disobey.

Should we celebrate yes, should we do it modestly and with compassion of course.
          [1] No not really.
          [2] Do we? I think we don't (as a nation) look beyond our own heroes.
          [3] I think it's 50/50. Don't forget Herr Hitler was a powerful orator and propaganderist. I think at some point the majority were properly sucked in and thought it was all going rather well. Then after the reich fell, and Russia and America divied up the spoils and put the wall up then the hangover kicked in after the party. The cold war I mean.

Sure I'm not saying they were all Nazi sympathisers and holocaust deniers, but Hitler had plenty of support, and not all of it forced. This is why the younger generations are ever so slightly embarassed about their forefathers.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I always remember the German sentry standing at the top of one of the dams catching each of the bombs in his hands, and throwing them out of harm's way. Then the tv advert's tag line "I bet he drinks Carling Black Label"

Comment

Give it a few more years and we'll see similar events for Dresden and Hiroshima
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                Bit emotive but watching the Dam busters fly past is great for my generation who were bought up on Commando books and Victor comics but the world has moved on

I don't know if the krauts find such celebrations (sic) offensive but at what stage if ever should this kind of display stop?

Does it have any significance for today or should it be left to become something like the 1066 re-enactment societies rather than a state sponsored thing

I'm all for Remembrance parades for the war dead - just not sure of the relevance of this kind of display to today's world
                My eldest did a talk about her great grandfathers DFC last month, and her research moved her into discussing many areas about the war, that kids of her age don't realise. I think it's fairly important, even if only as a metaphor of how heroic these people were and about how proud they were of fighting for their country.

I read, as part of her project, about how a civil engineer wasn't allowed to join the army, as they needed them at home, so he headed off home, changed his hair, dressed differently, then turned up 3 days later and said he was a poet, just to fight for his country, to join the Western Front. I don't think these things should be forgotten.

Comment

Lest we forget...

Going back to the Dam Busters the Germans actually captured a live 'Upkeep' from one of the crashed Lancs, called it 'Kurt' but never twigged the backspin aspect. Don't play Cricket, see...

BTW the movie is on Bluray now it looks very good! Also iTunes at £7.99....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    BTW the movie is on Bluray now it looks very good! Also iTunes at £7.99....
                    What's Gibson's dog called in that?
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X