• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

E * U!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E * U!

Quite true the EU gets blamed for lots of things that are actually due to our own stupid laws but here is a real EU plan that will cause me and some other IT sorts real hastle. Germany wants every app sold to have a demo version and the EU are looking into it:

German lawmakers calling for more consumer rights on the mobile apps market | Sci-Tech | DW.DE | 17.05.2013

Given the difficulty of doing anything at all on Android using Google's bug-ridden development tools that would be a real pain. Using typical, what affects ME, AKA sensible, righty thinking I shall now definitely vote no.

(As would John Wayne)
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Never mind that what about this gem:

BBC News - EU to ban refillable olive oil jugs and dipping bowls

What next, those plastic tomatoes filled with ketchup in transport cafes?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

EU bans double dipping!

Comment

yeah but even if we leave the EU if you want to sell into it you´ve still got to do it.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

OK agree if you leave the EU then we can still have refillable olive oil containers on the table.

How many UK restaurants have refillable olive oil containers on the table?

a) 1
          b) 2
          c) 3
          d) 4
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

EU has succeeded where the UN has failed.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              OK agree if you leave the EU then we can still have refillable olive oil containers on the table.

How many UK restaurants have refillable olive oil containers on the table?

a) 1
              b) 2
              c) 3
              d) 4
              It seems virtually every food pub serves bread and a little dipping bowl of olive oil these days.

Surely for the Greeks this would be like a rule in the UK that beer can only be served in pre-sealed containers, not poured into pint glasses...
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Never mind that what about this gem:

BBC News - EU to ban refillable olive oil jugs and dipping bowls

What next, those plastic tomatoes filled with ketchup in transport cafes?
                Yep, stupid ban dreamt up either by a cretin with nothing to do or more likely someone who's been paid by some southern European olive oil packaging rep. For the British government there's a simple answer to this kind of law; just don't enforce it. That's what the rest of Europe does when something silly emerges from the EU.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  EU bans double dipping!
                  As long as they keep their filthy hands off our chutney spoons.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Quite true the EU gets blamed for lots of things that are actually due to our own stupid laws but here is a real EU plan that will cause me and some other IT sorts real hastle. Germany wants every app sold to have a demo version and the EU are looking into it ...
                    WTF business is it of any government to dictate how private companies choose to sell their apps, as long as the things do what they claim?

It's like legislating that every sandwich must be sold in a green box, with blue stripes, and a red ribbon neatly tied round it!
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X