• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No formal CS education. Should I fill the gap on the CV?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No formal CS education. Should I fill the gap on the CV?

Hi, got no formal CS training/education, but do get interviews from time to time

What's the best way of filling the gap in the CV - online certifications, formal taught university courses, full-time/pert-time?

Edited: Got a maths degree.

PS And what's the longer-term value added from investing into a particular course?
    Last edited by mickey; 20 May 2013, 08:26.

If you have a science or engineering degree that is perfectly adequate. If you haven´t got one no harm in a part-time degree. You can try the Open University. You can still get contracts/jobs without, you´ll just be at a disadvantage in a poorer market or where there is intense competition.

Computing and IT | Undergraduate Courses, Degrees, Diplomas, Certificates and Qualifications - Open University
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by mickey View Post
      Hi, got no formal CS training/education, but do get interviews from time to time

What's the best way of filling the gap in the CV - online certifications, formal taught university courses, full-time/pert-time?

PS And what's the longer-term value added from investing into a particular course?
      I have no formal CS education either, everything has been learnt on the job, if you are getting interviews, and in turn jobs without the degree why bother getting one, granted you may start low but we all started somewhere.
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Hi,
        take education off your CV all together. My CV is four sides of A4. Page one is a summary of what I am and what I can do for the reader. Then a bullet list of key business/architecture skills followed by an exhaustive list of technical skills. Second side is the last two engagements (hint this is the bit where you talk about what you did in order to make it past the CV sift), third side is the previous 3 or four then the the last side is anything else to the ten year mark. Thats it. nothing about wife kids dogs GCSEs that I sat in christ-knows-when. Just the facts that will get past an agents word search and infront of the client...

As for formal learning... I prefer to buy books or read articles most of the guys that could stand infront of me to teach have not done it themselves for years if at all. I am considering TOGAF or PEAF exams though.

Good luck

Comment

Edited: Got a maths degree.
          I'd be far better off for jobs if I had a maths degree rather than a worthless CS degree.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            I'd be far better off for jobs if I had a maths degree rather than a worthless CS degree.
            What kind of jobs?

Comment

I have a maths degree rather than a CS one and, to the best of my knowledge, it has not harmed my applications once in 15 years.
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

A lot of employers I have spoken to, just want to see a degree on the CV, as long as it's not one of Blairs kind i.e. media studies, etc. If you have a Maths, or physics degree you'll be fine. I was abroad travelling for years and when I come back, did the CS degree, as I felt I'd been out of that area of business for a while, but if you've been working in these fields, just mention the Maths degree, and I am sure you'll be fine.

Comment

What kind of jobs?
                  An increasing number of C++ development jobs want maths and/or physics these days, as well as saying things like "at least a 2.1 from a top university". Anyone with the coding skills and a strong maths background is going to be in demand right now. Sadly I can only really claim the former.

Of course if your technical skills are plugging in network cables and knowing how to reset the printer when Margie from accounts accidentally sends a 10,000 page job, it may be different.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

My degree is in management.

Hasn't hurt me so far.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X