• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sir Mervyn King warns Govt over Help to Buy risks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sir Mervyn King warns Govt over Help to Buy risks

Sir Mervyn King warns Govt over Help to Buy risks | News | Mortgage Strategy

Bank of England governor Sir Mervyn King has warned the Government its Help to Buy scheme could fuel a US -style housing boom and must not be made permanent.

He only just worked that out???

muppet
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Help to buy.......votes!

Vote UKIP

Comment

I simply do not understand the lunacy of only offering the help on new builds, for the housing stock will still be reduced, as no one is going to buy a 5 bed Victorian house for £500k with a lovely garden, character and fine features, if they can buy a brand new 5 bed box on a link estate with £100k of the governments money. It's going to create many more problems than it will solve.

It will simply render the older houses useless, as well as the new houses, once they've been sold once. You're going to create a lot of negative equity very quickly, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
          I simply do not understand the lunacy of only offering the help on new builds, for the housing stock will still be reduced, as no one is going to buy a 5 bed Victorian house for £500k with a lovely garden, character and fine features, if they can buy a brand new 5 bed box on a link estate with £100k of the governments money. It's going to create many more problems than it will solve.

It will simply render the older houses useless, as well as the new houses, once they've been sold once. You're going to create a lot of negative equity very quickly, imo.
          would almost make sense if it were linked to the energy efficiency cert.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            would almost make sense if it were linked to the energy efficiency cert.
            It's just to get Wimpeys, Taylors, etc, etc working again. Ill thought out though.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
              It's just to get Wimpeys, Taylors, etc, etc working again. Ill thought out though.
              The UK housebuilders are major Tory party donors......connect the dots!

Rotten to the core.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                The UK housebuilders are major Tory party donors......connect the dots!

Rotten to the core.
                Apologies, I thought I inferred that!

Helping people sell their older houses isn't going to get them moolah!

Comment

This has to be the daftest idea to come out of this government. Just what they are trying to achieve is beyond me. If someone cannot afford a deposit he cannot afford a house. Simples. Next they will start giving out cash to buy a Aston Martin.
                  What is it with every government trying to pump up house prices ?
                  Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                    This has to be the daftest idea to come out of this government. Just what they are trying to achieve is beyond me. If someone cannot afford a deposit he cannot afford a house. Simples. Next they will start giving out cash to buy a Aston Martin.
                    What is it with every government trying to pump up house prices ?
                    We can all become rich selling our houses to each other over and over again.

Simples!

Comment

Working...
                    X