• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dont do evil

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dont do evil

I have a rule. As soon as someone makes a statement such as Googl'e "Don't do evil" it is to hide the opposite. Job titles that involve the word "talent" annoy me. Not only are they designed to make the job holders feel important about themselves (I only deal with talented people) but they lower the true meaning of the word talent. The "ministry of justice" or "ministry of truth" are examples of what I mean.

So is it about time we ducked out of Google before we become part of an Orwellian world controlled by little hitlers who send video vans around the world to show everyone what type of house we live in?

Google World Domination

My original prediction:
    Posted by Urgo at December 16, 2004 11:31 PM
    For the past year now I've been predicting that within the next ten Google will 'take over the world'. Most people I tell this two think I'm crazy and this will never happen saying that Google is the best company ever and they will never turn evil. I tend to disagree.

Let me take just a few minutes to explain why I think this, and then at the bottom of this entry is a link to a flash video I found today with someone else thinking the same thing.

Facts - Google owns:
    - Google is the most used search engine
    - Gmail, while maybe not the most used email provider (maybe it is now?) it is definitely the most highly desired
    - Orkut, while mostly blown over now is still a thriving social network site
    - Google News is viewed as a #1 news site for many people
    - Blogger is one of the leading blog sites and blogs are all over the news these days
    - Keyhole offers a satalite imageing service
    - Google Desktop Search
    - Google Adsense - probably the most widly used advertising on the web these days (used even on this website although I haven't seen any return yet)
    - And much much more, plus all the things normal people like myself have come up with such as the random google image in the right sidebar.

Should we not whilst we are at it also be pulling the plug on big powerful global businesses that prevent the likes of myself from starting a bank, an insurance company, a hospital, a power station or even a shop (by supporting and encouraging EU red tape bureaucracy)
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Are you saying you're not really dodgy?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Are you saying you're not really dodgy?
      Perish the thought
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Good for a chuckle:

Amazon's tax arrangements are nothing short of a work of art. Bravo! | David Mitchell | Comment is free | The Observer

Comment

They also have repeated form for taking over important cultural data and then neglecting it and running it into the ground, for example DejaNews and the usenet archive.

Even Google book scans have been criticised for (among other things) making a pudding of folded pages such as maps in old books. Apparently the scanning workers were just told to ignore those or scan blank pages, and I doubt there's any plan to remedy the results.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

An agent preaching on morals?

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

The Only Way is Ethics.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

Comment

Working...
                X