• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

An Englishman's home is his castle

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Englishman's home is his castle

... but not outside the door it appears!

Ex-soldier told to repaint his St George's flag front door by housing association after it was deemed offensive and distressing

Steven Rolfe painted the St George's flag on his front door in 2003
    He received a letter ten years on saying neighbours could be 'alarmed'
    Landlords have now apologised for saying it could be 'offensive'
    But they insist he must repaint door as he does not have proper permission

"An ex-soldier who painted a St George’s flag on his front door was ordered to cover it up by his landlords who claim it could be considered 'offensive' and may bring 'distress' to neighbours.

Steven Rolfe, 52, painted the red and white colours of the English flag on his rented home in Preston, Lancashire, in 2003. He also said he put up hanging baskets to celebrate his love of England and mark his former career in the forces.

But despite being runner-up in a council 'best kept house' competition, he has now received a letter ten years on from an official at property management firm Places for People saying neighbours could be 'alarmed' by the symbol.

The letter also warned the design could place him in a catagory of 'nuisance neighbours' and said it could mean him being evicted if he failed to cover it up.

The landlords have now apologised for calling the flag 'offensive' but said Mr Rolfe must still repaint the door because he does not have the proper permission and the door 'does not meet our decoration specifications'."

Source: Steven Rolfe: Ex-soldier told to repaint his St George's flag front door by housing association after it was deemed offensive and distressing | Mail Online

You just can't make this tulip up!!!

Alarmed neighbours??!?! It's not like he painted Soviet flag!

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    You just can't make this tulip up!!!
    Are you not familiar with the Daily Mail? They make this tulip up constantly

Comment

"Distressing"

The bit that really gets my goat is the term 'distressing'. So someone sees a country's national flag on display in the country and gets distressed. Get a grip.

Comment

I have been to Preston. This does not even get onto the bottom rung of things that are "distressing".

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Looks like an upside down crucifix. Is that not the sign of the devil or something?

Clearly the bloke is a nutter. And nobody wants a nutter living next door.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            Looks like an upside down crucifix. Is that not the sign of the devil or something?

Clearly the bloke is a nutter. And nobody wants a nutter living next door.
            Pity Sas's neighbours.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Couldn't he take the rented door off its hinges and replace it with one from B&Q painted, of course, with a large swastika?

Comment

I liked the name of his house - 'The Struggle'

What's wrong with 'Dun Struggling'

or 'My Struggle' (not in German obv.)

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Has he called his house 'The Struggle'?

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    or 'My Struggle' (not in German obv.)

Good spot. I wonder which political party he supports? Maybe the greens? Maybe the cuddly, jumper wearing Liberal Democrats? Or maybe UKIP? I'm going to go with UKIP.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X