• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fear of flying

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fear of flying

tulips me right up. I think it stems back to a flight from Glasgow to Luton years ago, which was hit by lightening. Nothing bad happened. Just scary, and quite loud.

So a couple of weeks ago, we land at Luton, and the pilot tells us we need to hook up a generator to the plane before we power down the engines. This is because this plane "doesn't have an APU" - little engine in the tail end called auxiliary power unit, used for starting the main engines, pressurising the cabin, etc.

So "doesn't have" is pilot speak for ****ed. Turns out an APU isn't part of the MEL for short haul.

Then two weeks ago we are delayed at Dortmund. Only by 30 mins. As we boarded I ask a flight attendant "is it fixed" to wit the reply "well I hope so" was returned. Cheeky scamp.

The pilot announced is was a problem with the computer, and " as we are basically a big flying computer it is pretty serious and we needed to get it fixed".

As we landed in Luton, I turned to the scamp, and said, "see it was fixed" to wit the reply "yes but it went wrong again mid flight" came the reply. "Let's hope it's fixed for Monday morning eh?" Says I.

"not really fussed, I'm not working Monday" came the reply

So today, as we are coming in to land at Dortmund, I glance out the window as I usually do, to look at the scenery etc, and I notice the lift dumper is flapping all over the place. A quick squizz at the opposite wing, and the lift dumper is deployed and rock steady as I've come to expect.

So as we disembarked I casually mentioned it to the trolley dolley.

"Oh so you know all about planes do you?" Came the hasty reply.

"No, I'm no means an expert, but I do sit in a window seat within view of the wing twice a week, and I've never seen it do that before. I thought about whether to say anything, and concluded it was better to say something than stay quiet"

"Well the pilot would know, the computer would tell him if anything is wrong"

God help us if it's that faulty flying computer they rely on, rather than visual inspection, handling, gut feel and experience.

Nice knowing yous.

Suity
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Battle of Britain fantasies kicking in after a month of Germans?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I fly Ryanair twice a week, how do you think I cope with that? Drink!

Comment

It's the claustrophobia that gets me. I'd be fine with plummeting to my death as long as I could open the door and get out.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          I fly Ryanair twice a week, how do you think I cope with that? Drink!
          Christ, that would double the price of the flight

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            So a couple of weeks ago, we land at Luton, and the pilot tells us we need to hook up a generator to the plane before we power down the engines. This is because this plane "doesn't have an APU" - little engine in the tail end called auxiliary power unit, used for starting the main engines, pressurising the cabin, etc.
            That's nothing. It's when they run out of coffee when you should be worried about.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
              Christ, that would double the price of the flight
              Not on the plane, 6:00am is a bit early even for me - in the village pub after work!

Comment

Maybe you just have a fear of flying to Luton.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Maybe you just have a fear of flying to Luton.
                  Let's chip in for a cheap flight to Australia to find out?

Comment

Every single reply thus far had me

So thanks
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X