• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rough Pubs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rough Pubs

I've actually been in here - when I moved back to Bolton - never realised. Didn't look so bad then to be fair!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ared-time.html

You aren't the police.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      You aren't the police.
      Do you reckon everybody else will be perfectly safe in there?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Do you reckon everybody else will be perfectly safe in there?
        Depends.

I use to go into rough local pubs as a student with some of my female mates. A group of my female mates made the mistake of doing this with one of the blokes in a pub we had been in before - they didn't make that mistake again.

Then again when I was a student in a different place there were loads of squaddies around. If you went into the local pubs and nightclubs as a female even if you kept your eyes on the ground, the local women would find away to launch an attack on one of you, there as all the male students were fine.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

This reminds me of home - the carnage of the Welsh valleys where I grew up. 1 nightclub, several different rugby teams, couple of biker gangs and a town with a huge drug problem. I do not think I ever went out on a Friday or Saturday without seeing at least 1 fight. They had to turn the music off once and the lights on whilst a barmaid gave someone CPR after he got a stamping from an ex bouncer, a mate got his skull fractured when he was mistaken for being a member of a non local rugby team, another friend got jumped by four guys as he was making a phone call and is now in a wheelchair.

My grand total is that I have been at knife point once, a broken bottle inches from my face once and I have been at gun point 3 separate times.

I moved to live in Portsmouth for a year or so and loved to go clubbing on the docks with the sailors etc. It was so much less dangerous than being back at home!
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

I thought this was a thread about stubble
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              I thought this was a thread about stubble
              nah E's are good.

You will never satisfy the attention to detail requirement in the job spec
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I spent a lot of my adult life in rough pubs. I prefer them to restaurants , clubs etc. It just seems more real to me, less pretentious and you can actually get a good laugh and a good conversation.
                You can also get a valuable commodity
                - peace.
                If you sit yourself down in a corner, few beers and a sudukio- you will never be disturbed.

The trick in rough pubs is to keep yer gob shut. be sociable when required, otherwise - shut it.
                You are a guest in someone else's territory. walk soft but carry a big stick

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                  a town with a huge drug problem.
                  What was the problem - supply too tight?

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    If you sit yourself down in a corner, few beers and a sudukio- you will never be disturbed.

The trick in rough pubs is to keep yer gob shut. be sociable when required, otherwise - shut it.
                    You are a guest in someone else's territory. walk soft but carry a big stick
                    +1. About twenty years ago I was in a city I'd never been to before. As I'd hitched there and made excellent time, the friend I was supposed to meet wasn't due for a while, so I ambled about the centre a bit and went in what seemed like an OK pub.

I got a pint and sat in the corner, reading the Grauniad, for an hour or so. I got the impression some of the locals at the bar were looking over at me and muttering among themselves occasionally, but I didn't get any hassle. When it was time to meet up with my friend I folded up the paper, took my empty glass back to the bar, thanked the barmaid, and left.

Meeting up with my friend a few minutes later I told them where I'd been. They were stunned, and explained to me that it was the watering hole and de facto headquarters of the city's NF/BNP contingent

Still, at least I had the right initials

And, returning to EO's point: I realised that the locals were probably wondering WTF a Grauniad reader was doing in their pub but, once they grasped that I was just an anomaly passing through, they left me in peace.

Comment

Working...
                    X