• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Today's interview.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's interview.

My c.v. goes forward for a Banking role over 3 weeks ago. I hear nothing from the agent until yesterday - he's trying to arrange an interview. Hear nothing further from him.

Today I get a phone call from the onsite HR of said bank at 09:50 a.m. Asks if I can do an interview - at 10:00 a.m. (!)

Reluctantly, I agree.

At 10:03 a.m. my phone rings. The Technical Bod's first question for this development role? "What are your salary expectations?"

I explain that I'm a contractor, and that's the basis I was put forward on. He asks, "What are your salary expectations?"

I explain, once again, that I'm a contractor. I quote the rate I'd been put forward for and that it was "market" for my skills and experience.

He responds, "Don't think it's worth taking this any further then. Bye." And down goes the phone.

Total "interview" time, less than thirty seconds.

Again, I hear nothing back from the agent.

What a fooking madhouse this industry has become...

Thank god I'm semi-retired. Seriously thinking of making that permanently retired.

Thank you for watching.
    nomadd liked this post

Agents and HR, bless 'em all. Trying to get any sense out them is like trying to make a concept album with Showaddywaddy (the band, not Bob).

Comment

You can't forget that as you walk down the street at least 90% of the people that you walk past are capital arseholes. There is little point expecting them to magically turn into courteous humans, just because they have managed to make it in to an office. Its a shame but true. I worked for an old school brokers for a while and they were proper gentlemen of class. You just don't see that in many companies today.

Worth writing an email to the CEO copying in HR explaining what a complete show of tulip he has working for him and what a dim view you will be passing on to your colleagues and contacts in future.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post

Worth writing an email to the CEO copying in HR explaining what a complete show of tulip he has working for him and what a dim view you will be passing on to your colleagues and contacts in future.

No it's not.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          No it's not.
          Actually a fair few of the CEO's that I have met are sheltered from the facts by a large swath of w@nkers desparate to look competent. If you strike it lucky you might well instill a change.

Comment

Be grateful that he only wasted 30 seconds of your time. He could have gone on for a full 30-60 minutes knowing full well that he didn't want you.
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              Exactly.

Or you might have wasted 10 hours of your life driving to & from Cambridge like I did once.

...Which is why I always insist on a telephone interview first.
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                My c.v. goes forward for a Banking role over 3 weeks ago. I hear nothing from the agent until yesterday - he's trying to arrange an interview. Hear nothing further from him.

Today I get a phone call from the onsite HR of said bank at 09:50 a.m. Asks if I can do an interview - at 10:00 a.m. (!)

Reluctantly, I agree.

At 10:03 a.m. my phone rings. The Technical Bod's first question for this development role? "What are your salary expectations?"

I explain that I'm a contractor, and that's the basis I was put forward on. He asks, "What are your salary expectations?"

I explain, once again, that I'm a contractor. I quote the rate I'd been put forward for and that it was "market" for my skills and experience.

He responds, "Don't think it's worth taking this any further then. Bye." And down goes the phone.

Total "interview" time, less than thirty seconds.

Again, I hear nothing back from the agent.

What a fooking madhouse this industry has become...

Thank god I'm semi-retired. Seriously thinking of making that permanently retired.

Thank you for watching.
                This wasnt Tesco Bank in Edinburgh, was it?

I was similarly jerked around by them recently. Males me think of becoming semi retired (or going permie )
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                  The Technical Bod's first question for this development role? "What are your salary expectations?"

Rookie mistake "beyond the dreams of avarice" should have been your reply

HTH
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Exactly.

Or you might have wasted 10 hours of your life driving to & from Cambridge like I did once.
                    I did that once.
                    I was after a sh*g, and didn't get it

Comment

Working...
                    X