• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another contract - ditch current or let it go?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another contract - ditch current or let it go?

See this issue quite a few times. But what would you do?

With current client over two years now. Always been treated pretty shabbily by them and lately, its just got worse and worse. Contract extensions left until the last day, or not done at all, one month extensions, then two, at random.

Been looking to leave for a while but nothing else has come up. Sods law that last contract extension was for two months (until end June) and I've got a alternative lined up but they want start beginning of June.

So, do I cough this one up and stay with current client and, possibly, get shafted around again at the end of June?

Or do I 'somehow' give notice here (although its 4 weeks) or just decline to come in etc. Certainly going to butn bridges here of course.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    See this issue quite a few times. But what would you do?

With current client over two years now. Always been treated pretty shabbily by them and lately, its just got worse and worse. Contract extensions left until the last day, or not done at all, one month extensions, then two, at random.

Been looking to leave for a while but nothing else has come up. Sods law that last contract extension was for two months (until end June) and I've got a alternative lined up but they want start beginning of June.

So, do I cough this one up and stay with current client and, possibly, get shafted around again at the end of June?

Or do I 'somehow' give notice here (although its 4 weeks) or just decline to come in etc. Certainly going to butn bridges here of course.
    Get out of that mad house.

Find the last date the new company will accept you and work back from there then offer a support agreement (email advice evenings and weekends) to not leave them totally in the lurch. Then if they refuse it that serves them right.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Get out of that mad house.

Find the last date the new company will accept you and work back from there then offer a support agreement (email advice evenings and weekends) to not leave them totally in the lurch. Then if they refuse it that serves them right.
      +1

Have you definitely got the other gig? If so, what's the latest they can take you starting? I can't see you being able to discuss much with the current client, to be honest, but from your other posts I think burning the bridges with this client will be the best thing for you!

There are always ways out of there, you should know what they are by now
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

The usual advice is to stick it out, but in your case I think you have to take the new contract.
        Get it all signed, tell your client you won't be available after x date and accept the new one could go tits up before you start.

Good luck with it.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

As you have been there a while and they have been renewing in small chunks then I wold not have a problem handing notice in just a bit early to go to another contract.

I would just explain to them that obviously as they have been only renewing for short periods something else has come up for longer. They should understand that given the situation if a longer contract comes up they could lose you.

Comment

from a legal aspect, if it is 4 weeks notice and say you left the client after 2 of those 4 weeks, is there the possibility that the client could sue for breach of contract for example?

Comment

Originally posted by spongeym View Post
              from a legal aspect, if it is 4 weeks notice and say you left the client after 2 of those 4 weeks, is there the possibility that the client could sue for breach of contract for example?
              It never goes legal, it just isn't worth it. Mucho handbags and and an uncomfortable couple of weeks with little chance of going back to the client but from what we have seen that is a blessing.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Find the last date the new company will accept you and work back from there then offer a support agreement (email advice evenings and weekends) to not leave them totally in the lurch.
                Defo ^^ this ^^.

I did this in the last contract. Made an arrangement to provide phone/email support at the rate of £x/hr (my daily rate / 8), for a period of around 6 weeks IIRC.

I was never called upon. However, a month or so later, I got a phonecall direct from them asking if I was available to help out on some new project. Unfortunately I was busy working on something else.
                Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Yeh. Cheers all. I will of course wait until its all signed and sealed before doing anything rash but its looking good.

Thing is the current client has always expected things on their terms. They leave it until the last day and then decide if they want me back - then its 1, 2, or 3 months depending on how they feel and I never get an explanation. To be honest, its been a fight sometimes to sort anything out on the last day - they just think I'll turn up unless they tell me otherwise.... (Current contract I insisted on email from agent for start of may but client hasnt done PO yet so I've no actual contract yet).

Normally, I would have issues with cutting short but, despite me trying to ask nicely for them to try and let me know what they're plans are nothings changed. In fact, it gets worse. As such, I dont feel I owe them anything.

In terms of burning bridges, probably not either. They're so disorganised that in a few months, different manager it will all have been forgotten about.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by spongeym View Post
                    No.

You aren't breaching the contract - you have given the required notice period. You have a clause in your contract which says that you aren't obliged to accept any work that they offer, so you are just turning down the work that they offer.

This assumes that you have a decent MOO clause in the contract.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X