• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When you know its all going to go wrong and client wont listen....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you know its all going to go wrong and client wont listen....

Yep, same old client.

Client, via agency, pays for you. You tell them, in your professional opinion, that somethings not right. They don't listen and choose to focus on implementation dates and ignore technical issues.

You know that theres a very good chance it'll go belly up on the day. You're the one on site with their customer doing the work.

Previous times have meant 20 hour days when its all gone wrong.... (they say they stick to H&S working hours but, at the end of the day, no-one cares).

Do you:-

A). Go ahead and do your best, its not your call - its the clients. Stay for extended time on customer site if it all goes wrong. Keep calm and keep billing.

B). Advise client and then walk off customer site at reasonable time if it all goes wrong (i.e. 12 hours work). and possibly end of contract.

C). Refuse to do the work in the first place. and possibly end of contract.

In my long career, I've never met a company like it. So focused on dates that they will push things through regardless. Each department blaming each other if things then dont go to plan - which they never do. :-(

Ah. Gotta get out of this mad place soon!
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

A.

I was reminded by an ex client I drove to his site Saturday afternoon to fix a data transfer and didn't leave until 3 am Sunday morning. You sound like an A from other posts I've read from you.

D. _I've just read your other post !
    Last edited by radish2008; 22 May 2013, 11:02.

Comment

D) Accept other contract, hand in your termination notice to agent and client, give a good handover, run like hell.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

And to paraphrase Yoda: Do or don't do. There is no 'try'.

This isn't the first time you've complained about this client - I'm not sure why you post in B/C PC if you don't bother with the advice given.

If you just want to rant, put it into General.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Book holiday / evening events the night of the go-live.

Work a reasonable amount, not 20 hours, unless the overtime is fantastic.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            And to paraphrase Yoda: Do or don't do. There is no 'try'.

This isn't the first time you've complained about this client - I'm not sure why you post in B/C PC if you don't bother with the advice given.

If you just want to rant, put it into General.
            Hmm. It is a genuine question asking for advice for the specific situation...

Yes, I agree the advice given and I fully intend to follow through (i.e. leave) when I can do. But, in the meantime, it pays the bills although sometimes I wonder if its worth it....

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Book holiday / evening events the night of the go-live.

Work a reasonable amount, not 20 hours, unless the overtime is fantastic.
              Day rate. Not so much that - I aint comfortable working 20 hours - its just not a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                D) Accept other contract, hand in your termination notice to agent and client, give a good handover, run like hell.
                Not 100% sorted out yet and unlikely to be done before next week - next upgrade!

Comment

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Dont waste your time on this thread then!

Comment

Working...
                    X