• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lack of 'adventure' in the IT Contracting world: Disappointed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lack of 'adventure' in the IT Contracting world: Disappointed

I have now done IT contracting (switched from permanent) for about 5 years, 8 contracts or so. I came here for the money (of course) but also for what I thought would be excitement and risk: genuinely fighting for business, doing pilots and trying to convince clients to keep me on. What I've found for the most part once an "interview" is landed with a client (shouldn't it be "discussion" and not "interview" when we're talking contracts?!), is that most of them are looking for a permanent-type worker who they can only pay for a few months.

Half or 3/4ths of said interview is technical questions of the kind that reminds you of exams in university.

If you 'pass' this interview you are made part of the company's plans for the next half-year or more.

Once on the job they are willing to give a good amount of independence in *how* you get work done. Some of them (some) are even open to suggestions as to *what* you will do there. But for the most part you must get used to the client's pace and the client's ways of doing things.

I guess what I hoped for in the contracting world is clients asking you to come on for a day or two (yes I am advocating initial one or two day contracts), at most a week, where the contractor has to think on his feet, perhaps hit the books/internet at night, come up with ideas, do mock-ups and pilots. Then if they like you they engage with you, otherwise you leave. This is what I expected. What I've found is very different.

What I've found is basically permanent work for shorter durations (but still paying twice as much as permanent work). I am happy with the money but unhappy with the lack of excitement. People outside the IT contracting world like family and friends get excited when I tell them I work on contracts, on a freelance basis. I often find I have to make up stories about high-risk high-reward (or bore them with the truth). There is nothing risky about this, except a few days or weeks now and then on the bench between contracts.

Originally posted by theroyale View Post
    ...What I've found is basically permanent work...
    AYSYCOTBAC ? </NLUK>

Boo

Comment

Fill 'yer Boots...
      Last edited by Contractor UK; 18 September 2019, 16:59.
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Fundamental lack of understanding I would say. For a start a large majority of us would argue 'There is nothing risky about this, except a few days or weeks now and then on the bench between contracts.' is wrong. Months is just as plausible and has been shown. Just because you are good at something it doesn't mean the risk isn't there, it just doesn't affect you.

Sounds like you have convinced yourself so there is no arguing.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by theroyale View Post
          I have now done IT contracting (switched from permanent) for about 5 years, 8 contracts or so. I came here for the money (of course) but also for what I thought would be excitement and risk: genuinely fighting for business, doing pilots and trying to convince clients to keep me on. What I've found for the most part once an "interview" is landed with a client (shouldn't it be "discussion" and not "interview" when we're talking contracts?!), is that most of them are looking for a permanent-type worker who they can only pay for a few months.

Half or 3/4ths of said interview is technical questions of the kind that reminds you of exams in university.

If you 'pass' this interview you are made part of the company's plans for the next half-year or more.

Once on the job they are willing to give a good amount of independence in *how* you get work done. Some of them (some) are even open to suggestions as to *what* you will do there. But for the most part you must get used to the client's pace and the client's ways of doing things.

I guess what I hoped for in the contracting world is clients asking you to come on for a day or two (yes I am advocating initial one or two day contracts), at most a week, where the contractor has to think on his feet, perhaps hit the books/internet at night, come up with ideas, do mock-ups and pilots. Then if they like you they engage with you, otherwise you leave. This is what I expected. What I've found is very different.

What I've found is basically permanent work for shorter durations (but still paying twice as much as permanent work). I am happy with the money but unhappy with the lack of excitement. People outside the IT contracting world like family and friends get excited when I tell them I work on contracts, on a freelance basis. I often find I have to make up stories about high-risk high-reward (or bore them with the truth). There is nothing risky about this, except a few days or weeks now and then on the bench between contracts.
          So, do small, medium and large 'consultancies' only stay on site for one or two days a week?

All the consultancies I've seen at the many client's I've worked for, have had an on site presence for months if not years.

I think you're thinking on the contracting world is flawed. You seem to think it would be like a jobbing electrician, plumber or plasterer.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            So, do small, medium and large 'consultancies' only stay on site for one or two days a week?

All the consultancies I've seen at the many client's I've worked for, have had an on site presence for months if not years.

I think you're thinking on the contracting world is flawed. You seem to think it would be like a jobbing electrician, plumber or plasterer
            Yes but what are these consultancies doing for months or years? Are they extra heads doing BAU, or are they doing or trying to do something new at their client? Its the BAU aspect of it that I have a problem with, not the duration of the engagement. I've found too often that they want me in there just to do BAU for a few months.

Comment

I think you're thinking on the contracting world is flawed. You seem to think it would be like a jobbing electrician, plumber or plasterer.
              Actually BB, I think that he thought it would be more 'international jet setter'; flying in like the Lone Ranger, waving diagrams around, explaining to clients how to fix their broken infrastructure using the latest jiggery-pokery that has only just been developed (in fact the 'book' describing said jiggery-pokery was only published on Monday), have the gratefull clients applaud and throw money at him before tipping his hat with a modest 'My work here is done' and flying out into the sunset with another client-in-distress wailing for his services.

Then he discovered that contracting was more like a jobbing electrician, plumber or plasterer.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

A jobbing electrician, plumber or plasterer doesn't have any excitement either.

For example if you are a plumber who has all your Gas Safe certificates all you are going to do is check gas appliances and fit them due to the cost of keeping this certification.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

... and it is only going to get worse. As contracting becomes the defacto standard for firms to fill temp gaps in their teams at all levels the majority of work will just be temp/disguised permie.

Just have to alter your mindset or try something new I am afraid.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have contracted MyCo. services for a large three letter "consultancy" and was on-site at a customer every day for close on a year. Design / Planning / Documentation / Testing / Delivery of POC / Dev / Test / UAT / Pilot.

Never a dull moment - the Project lifecycle is the key factor in non-BAU roles. It can take as little as a couple of days or as long as the lifecycle has legs...
                    Last edited by Scruff; 23 May 2013, 10:35. Reason: Semantics of descriptive
                    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Working...
                    X