• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Being an InselAffe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being an InselAffe

The Germans do like their politics. Especially over lunchtime chat in the canteen.

I have to sit there and listen to stories about the Kole years, Thatcher, coal miners. They're not ribbing, just discussing the progression of England under Thatcher.

One bloke summed it up in a very friendly, polite, and round about way.

"When your David Cameron comes to Europe, Frau Merkel listens politely to his views, then gives him the facts".

We are such a laughing stock over here, even ze Germans feel sorry for us.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Kohl

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
      Kohl
      Carbon to you to

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        The Germans do like their politics. Especially over lunchtime chat in the canteen.

I have to sit there and listen to stories about the Kole years, Thatcher, coal miners. They're not ribbing, just discussing the progression of England under Thatcher.

One bloke summed it up in a very friendly, polite, and round about way.

"When your David Cameron comes to Europe, Frau Merkel listens politely to his views, then gives him the facts".

I worked in Munich for a while and enjoyed it immensely. I was very surprised just how interested in the UK they were, because the English really do not show that much interest with Germany. Also found general conversation to be much more, well I'd love to say intellectual, but I think I prefer serious.

I like the Germans to be honest. As a rule, they tend to speak straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
          I worked in Munich for a while and enjoyed it immensely. I was very surprised just how interested in the UK they were, because the English really do not show that much interest with Germany. Also found general conversation to be much more, well I'd love to say intellectual, but I think I prefer serious.

I like the Germans to be honest. As a rule, they tend to speak straight.
          Spot on.

Comment

Have you sold them many Wembley tickets?
            Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

"When your David Cameron comes to Europe, Frau Merkel listens politely to his views, then gives him the facts". ...
              Out of interest, did he go on to explain what he thought those facts were?
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Out of interest, did he go on to explain what he thought those facts were?
                Sort of. I mean in England for example we get all het up about unemployment figures.

In the early Merkel years, she asked people to work more than one job, or only part of one job. The German people got behind her out of patriotism and now the economy is back on track.

The basic facts are Britain is broke, nearly as broke as Greece is, and the only way we can sustain ourselves is cheap lending to the government. At some point the interest rate has to come back up and then we will have to go bust.

Comment

Then they won't mind if we leave the EU?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    Then they won't mind if we leave the EU?
                    About as much as if an alcoholic gambler that borrowed money from you all the time and never paid it back left your lottery syndicate.

I think the eurozone is delicate enough as it is right now, and it would not be good for it if we break away.

OTOH I fully expect to be cut adrift in years to come when the tulip properly hits the fan.

Comment

Working...
                    X