• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First timer worries!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First timer worries!

hi - i'm an IT PM just come off an Oracle R12 in a perm role and thinking of going into IT contracting. Im not being made redundant but looking for a next step. I'm nervous i don't have enough experience....6 years as a PM and 3 in IT (with 2 in Oracle implementation). As a young'un am i going to find myself being laughed out of the market with my lack of experience?? I have a great CV but am very nervous about my marketability! Any advice guys??

Originally posted by firstimer View Post
    hi - i'm an IT PM just come off an Oracle R12 in a perm role and thinking of going into IT contracting. Im not being made redundant but looking for a next step. I'm nervous i don't have enough experience....6 years as a PM and 3 in IT (with 2 in Oracle implementation). As a young'un am i going to find myself being laughed out of the market with my lack of experience?? I have a great CV but am very nervous about my marketability! Any advice guys??
    Learn to bleed radiators, watch films about Gladiators,lick the chutney spoon....it's all out there just waiting for you

HTH
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Contracting isn't a step, it is a different way of working. The next step would be to take a bigger project on than the last or try for Programme Management or summat.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        Learn to bleed radiators, watch films about Gladiators,lick the chutney spoon....it's all out there just waiting for you

HTH
        +1

And AtW can advise on first time worries.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          +1

And AtW can advise on first time squirrel worrying.
          FTFY
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

A lot of us here in the contracting world want/feel there is little choice but to go in the opposite direction.

You really need to do the sums, particularly if you have travel costs.

In the boom times you could basically work round the corner, these days you often have to work away and with the more difficult market comes increased bench time.

In my field the rates are such that there is really no financial advantage unless I land a top contract in the City (dream on).

Anyway no harm in putting feelers out, but my advice would be stay where you are and wait for things to pick up.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 23 May 2013, 19:49.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by firstimer View Post
              A good PM should be able to communicate effectively and write grammatically correct documents. Your post fails on all accounts; you don’t even bother using the shift key.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                Your post fails on all accounts; you don’t even bother using the shift key.
                Or delete key.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  A good PM should be able to communicate effectively and get their BA to write write grammatically correct documents. Your post fails on all accounts; you don’t even bother using the shift key.
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Or delete key.
                    Or power button.

Comment

Working...
                    X