• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting elderly parents to understand the concept that they can ring your mobile

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting elderly parents to understand the concept that they can ring your mobile

Getting major hassle with my old man with this. Hes 78 and lives alone. He gets on OK but is VERY VERY old-fashioned. Its a constant fight to get him to accept things which actuall make life easier for himself.

He'll ring me at home, at say 7pm, and if I'm not there, will ring every 30 mins until I get home. In the past, I've had calls at 11pm as I walk in the door, with him in a flap, worried that something had happened to me because I wasn't home. Or hes concerned about something and has flapped about it all day and not phoned me.

I've tried and tried to say, ring me at home, if no answer call mobile and I will call back. Then I get the yeah you might be driving (I've got hands free). I've also explained that, yes, even if I can't answer at the time, at least I'll know you've called and will call back whereas I wont know the home phone has been ringing for 4 hours when I'm not there.

And he refuses to phone me during the day because I might be sacked for taking a personal call at work. FFS - seriously..... How many times I've told him no-one will even notice let alone care....

Any suggestions? I don't mind speaking to him whenever, I've told him that, if its urgent, any phone, any time day or night. But, I don't understand why he gets into a state, or wants to speak to me, but won't phone my mobile? Doesn't make sense.

Anyone else got parents like this? I know hes 78 but sometimes its difficult when he causes problems for himself when he doesnt listen....
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Redirect your fixed line to your mobile?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Redirect your fixed line to your mobile?
      Hmm. Not a bad idea I guess....

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        And he refuses to phone me during the day because I might be sacked for taking a personal call at work
        Mine does that ...must be a generational thing
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

My mum will only ring my mobile form her mobile and my landline from her landline, she doesn't think they're cross compatible.

She's only 62!
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

My won't ring my mobile. She sends me a text instead.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

maybe he's heard calling mobiles costs lots of money and relates it to calling a premium rate number and so doesnt want to but doesnt want to say thats the reason why?
              The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                maybe he's heard calling mobiles costs lots of money and relates it to calling a premium rate number and so doesnt want to but doesnt want to say thats the reason why?
                Part of the reason maybe. But I ring him back so it probably costs him 20p.

But then again hes like that with other things. If he doesn't think something is good value he won't spend money on it regardless of whether he wants it or can afford it.

In the past, hes struggled in the snow to walk to Iceland (the supermarket) because he won't pay 20p more in the corner shop because 'its daylight robbery'. And he no longer goes to watch the cricket (which he enjoys) because he can no longer walk to the ground from the bus stop and would rather sit at home bored than spend £5 on a taxi (because they're a rip off).

Comment

I bet he always calls after 6pm when it's cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                    Funny you should say that. I remember when I was in college 25 years ago.

No mobiles then of course, so you'd trek down the phone box, ring home, then get parents to call you back. Even then, old man would speak at 100mph, get through the call in about 5 minutes and then would be gone. I asked him once what the rush was and he said it was a long distance call so really expensive (We're talking UK here not international mind - unless Wales to Leicester is different!)

I remember finding out at the time and telling him that it was something like £3 for 60mins for national call off peak so an extra 5 mins chatting would cost him something like 25p. Never changed though - sure he didnt believe me and thought it was something like £1 a minute.

Comment

Working...
                    X