• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hard problems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard problems

Do you ever get them? I don't mean the sort of squaring the circle that comes from needing to do three months work in three weeks, or having to deal with a steep learning curve, or erections that won't go away.

I have one. I have decided the best strategy was to go to sleep early and get up at 4 am when everyone else is asleep to have another go at it. Now I've run out of coffee
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Do you ever get them? I don't mean the sort of squaring the circle that comes from needing to do three months work in three weeks, or having to deal with a steep learning curve, or erections that won't go away.

I have one. I have decided the best strategy was to go to sleep early and get up at 4 am when everyone else is asleep to have another go at it. Now I've run out of coffee
    Had six months of it. My OCD is that I have to solve everything I'm given or understand it to the finest level. You've got one night. Imagine when it's every other night.

A couple of bad nights though sometimes gives you that Eureka moment though. GL.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I doubt it will be one night TBH.

I'm not complaining BTW, this is the bit that makes software development fun. It's just hard to reconcile it with newborn children.
      Last edited by doodab; 25 May 2013, 04:20.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I had one earlier this year. I had to build a db that could hold an unspecified number of fields in an unspecified number of tables displayed on an unspecified form.
        They whinged about the performance.

so there was the problem, how to do the impossible but make it fast.
        I got the answer at 5 am one morning whilst wondering what to do about my boner

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

This is a sign that the problem is beyond your mental capabilities, perhaps you should ask your manager to move you to the fries counter or if you can take out the bins?

Comment

Sometimes I find it's best to apply the 'Beer & kebab' technique.

Sitting looking at the same problem for hours on end gets you ( me at least) into tramlining the same non-solutions.
            Go away, do something different, go and have a beer and a kebab.

Next morning revisiting the issue the solution often seems so simple you'd (I'd) kick your(my)self.

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
              Sometimes I find it's best to apply the 'Beer & kebab' technique.

Sitting looking at the same problem for hours on end gets you ( me at least) into tramlining the same non-solutions.
              Go away, do something different, go and have a beer and a kebab.

Next morning revisiting the issue the solution often seems so simple you'd (I'd) kick your(my)self.
              Alternatively you could do something more healthy like get so exercise.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by proggy View Post
                This is a sign that the problem is beyond your mental capabilities, perhaps you should ask your manager to move you to the fries counter or if you can take out the bins?
                What exactly is the sign that the problem is my mental capabilities? That I consider it to be hard, that I took it on as a reasonably lucrative fixed price job because I am confident I can solve it, or that I'm annoyed at the lack of coffee in my cupboard?

Comment

What exactly is the sign that the problem is my mental capabilities? That I consider it to be hard, that I took it on as a reasonably lucrative fixed price job because I am confident I can solve it, or that I'm annoyed at the lack of coffee in my cupboard?
                  I was just joking with you, good luck hope you solve it. Isn't there a costa or nero near by?

Comment

Here's one to solve
                    • There is a mismatch in the companies data that shows each user with a unique serial number against which is a notes ID and email address
                    • The user does not use that Notes ID but another one and therefore another email address
                    • All processes within the corporation are automated for password reset etc and send validation messages to the email address listed to the users serial number
                    • The call to the Bobs Help Desk are raised - the resolution as the Bobs see it is to advise the user via email to use the automated process to reset the details on the intranet against the users profile to update with the correct email address
                    • To access the intranet the user needs to login with credentials - these are set to authenticate with the wrong email for the user so are never received
                    • Bob sends this advice out 3 times but receiving no reply closes the call off as no response received as per process
                    • Despite being advised during the raising of the ticket not to use the email address on the Intranet but rather use the working address Bob insists on sending to the other address

Repeat ad infinitum
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X