• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boating holidays

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boating holidays

Anyone done one? Was it fun? Looking at a boat on the Norfolk Broads for a week.

Did it with my parents when I was in my teens. Are Hoseasons still the company of choice?

You'd get quicker answer to this question on mumsnet

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      Anyone done one? Was it fun? Looking at a boat on the Norfolk Broads for a week.

Did it with my parents when I was in my teens. Are Hoseasons still the company of choice?
      Have a look at this Classic Sailing | Sailing Holidays & Hands on Traditional Sailing | Classic Sailing

I did a week in a hired cruiser on the Caledonian Canal once and it was pure divorce fodder. If you have an expert skipper as in the link it is much more relaxing. Not for holiday romance though as you will be in a bunk in a communal cabin probably.

Comment

Originally posted by socialworker View Post
        Have a look at this Classic Sailing | Sailing Holidays & Hands on Traditional Sailing | Classic Sailing

I did a week in a hired cruiser on the Caledonian Canal once and it was pure divorce fodder. If you have an expert skipper as in the link it is much more relaxing. Not for holiday romance though as you will be in a bunk in a communal cabin probably.
        I remember locks being quite stressful, hence thinking the broads might be a good choice. Will be accompanied by something between 1 and 3 offspring, so romance not high on the priority list. Hubby is expert at everything, so I'm sure skippering will be a doddle for him. I'd love the proper sailing thing, but not sure that rest of family would be up for it. Maybe a 4 day break would be better...

Comment

Are there still enough pubs enroute to make it fun ?
          Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Can be fun.
            On a boating holiday on the Thames my dad damaged the windscreen by hitting a bridge, broke the throttle cable, and holed it below the waterline nearly resulting in it sinking. All in one week

Make sure you have plenty of blankets - it can get quite cold on the water even in summer.

Comment

I know a family a few years ago who did the Broads - the wife did complain that she found it a bit dull
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                I know a family a few years ago who did the Broads - the wife did complain that she found it a bit dull
                We did a family holiday on a canal boat - we saw a dead dog and a lemon floating in the water - those events were the highlights of the week.

Comment

Did this in Ireland a few years ago. Wide open waterway with a different pub to stop at every night.

Start here
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

We did a week on the Oxford canal when I was a teenager, which I always remember as the best family holiday we ever had. My brother and I loved doing the locks, and my Dad drove the boat. Though looking back, I'm sure my Mum was quite bored by it all.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X