• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doctor Who is Racist

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doctor Who is Racist

Beyond parody

concerns are published in a new book, Doctor Who And Race, which says the BBC programme is based in attitudes ‘that continue to subjugate people of colour’.

One of the more bizarre theories is offered by Amit Gupta, an American professor, who argues that Peter Davison’s cricket-loving incarnation of the character in the Eighties was thinly disguised nostalgia for the British Empire. He wrote: ‘[He] portrayed the amateur English cricketer of the late 19th Century when the game was characterised by both racial and class distinctions.

The critics are americans, so I'm not the least bit surprised. A very strange bunch.

The problem seems simple enough: an American academic brought up with the stigma of slavery hanging over his cultural head encounters a British show that sees the world differently.

Edit: Apparently the author is Australian, in which case she should have known better. Shame you can't comment on a book before it is released.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Aliens of colour surely?

Comment

He is quite right, those dirty yellow and bright purple striped creatures with 6 eyes, coming over here and taking out jobs!
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

yep - the politics of envy

How cricket shifted from being a semi-amateurish sport that reflected British imperial ambitions to a truly globalized sport dominated by India.

does seem like a cheap theft of Doctor Who's fame to gain notoriety.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
          X