• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best Way to Cook Dover Sole

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Way to Cook Dover Sole

Bought a bag of three dover soles in Sainsburys at a big discount, but when I opened it to cook them I found to my horror that they still had the heads and tails on!

But once I had chopped those off, and the fins, and then cut the damned things in half to get rid of the backbones and insides, there was barely anything left. So I had to chuck them all out in disgust and open a tin of tuna.

So how would the culinary experts here cook dover sole? Maybe Norrahe could add a recipe for dover sole ("flat fish")
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Leave it to the professionals:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Bought a bag of three dover soles in Sainsburys at a big discount, but when I opened it to cook them I found to my horror that they still had the heads and tails on!

But once I had chopped those off, and the fins, and then cut the damned things in half to get rid of the backbones and insides, there was barely anything left. So I had to chuck them all out in disgust and open a tin of tuna.

So how would the culinary experts here cook dover sole? Maybe Norrahe could add a recipe for dover sole ("flat fish")
      I would cook them as you found them. Make a grease proof paper parcel, or tinfoil if you've got the money.

Add butter and some lemon wedges to the cavity. Grate some sea salt on the top and wrap.

In the oven for 20 mins.

Then either serve as is, or top and tail. You can score down the backbone and then use the tail to remove the backbone in a oner if you are careful.

The thing about fish is the flavour is delicate, so less really,is more.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Alway best to keep it whole, but remove head, tail, and fins.

Pan fry with butter and white wine, season and enjoy.

Depends on the size of the sole but you can either pan fry it for 5 mins each side or grill it for the same amount of time.

Add a dash of lemon juice last minute.

Just be glad you aint dealing the the sole in cloggers, really tidgey
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
          Alway best to keep it whole, but remove head, tail, and fins. ...
          I wondered about that, because obviously they dish out fish whole such as trout, and sole for that matter, in restaurants.

But what about the insides? How on earth is one supposed to know where they are for a start?
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Sainsbury's would probably have gutted them for you, if you'd asked. YouTube?
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Pollocks!
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                Alway best to keep it whole, but remove head, tail, and fins.

Pan fry with butter and white wine, season and enjoy.

Depends on the size of the sole but you can either pan fry it for 5 mins each side or grill it for the same amount of time.

Add a dash of lemon juice last minute.

Just be glad you aint dealing the the sole in cloggers, really tidgey
                Cod struth, what a lot of effort. It must be easier to tuna piano.

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Have the fishmonger clean the fish. Then cook entire in a very hot oven; 280°C is what I usually use. The bones should easily lift out.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

There is a restaurant in Chicago that makes a big deal about the fact that its Dover Sole really is really from Dover and has just been flown in. I never had the heart to tell them what a dirty stretch of water that is.

Comment

Working...
                    X