• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I wonder if anyone has noticed that the meek have inherited the earth?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if anyone has noticed that the meek have inherited the earth?

I was having the usual drunken discussion over the weekend about who runs the world with a hubby of one of my wife's friends. My pros was that power has rapidly moved from guns and bombs and the crap we saw last week to 0's and 1's running down a tiny strand of wire. He was disagreeing quite a lot (in the police force) until I asked what would happen if the sysadmins decided to get together and have a shutdown the servers week?
    Just wander in one Sunday morning and shut everything down and then go missing with the passwords... No data destruction or vandalism, just a straight power down and a holiday in Scotland. How long would a country hold it together if the Bank of England, London clearing houses plus a few choice targets went very black with no hope of resolution...

Do you think society would last the seven days we were away or do you think it would collaps in hours?

Never met a sysadmin who could be described as meek
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
      Never met a sysadmin who could be described as meek
      We sysadms only come in two varieties:

1) Pussy
      2) Nazi

and the only reason that the pussies exist is because they havent got annoyed enough to turn into nazi's yet

Comment

Guns,knives, fists etc will still work when the computers stop
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          Guns,knives, fists etc will still work when the computers stop
          The difference is its hard to stop society today with just a gun or a knife on its own.

However if someone co-ordinated stops the people from getting to their digital money or tescos from getting their just in time stock orders or petrol deliveries... how long would things hold together?

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
            The difference is its hard to stop society today with just a gun or a knife on its own.

However if someone co-ordinated stops the people from getting to their digital money or tescos from getting their just in time stock orders or petrol deliveries... how long would things hold together?
            I will borrow money from a loan shark until they fix the problem

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
              I will borrow money from a loan shark until they fix the problem
              A) How much are you prepared to pay to borrow a £1,000 ?
              B) How long before petrol and food prices sky rocket on the basis that there is no replacement products turning up tomorrow because the import systems and air traffic controls are sleeping?
              C) While you are patiently awaiting a return to normal, how many of your fellow humans are going to do the same?

Comment

I think you're vastly overestimating your own importance.

Yes, ALL systems going down would cause problems, but a lot of these could be manually worked around.

Comment

Surely there are several careers that could cause issues if they all stopped working together though?

If all delivery drivers refused to deliver anything and walked off with the keys to the lorries we would be crippled, if prison guards opened all the cells and walked off we would see serious problems pretty quickly, if every salesman in the country refused to serve anyone (including internet orders) then things would get unpleasant fast.

Are Sys Admins that special?
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post

Once you've stopped society who do you think will be taking charge? the meek geek in the specs who just turned off a couple of servers or the nutters with the guns and ropes?
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X