• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Private PM for mudskipper re: your tits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private PM for mudskipper re: your tits

Haven't got around to installing a tit cam & not seen the birdies going to and fro from the box this weekend - will they have fledged by now (memory from last year was that they went into June)

Dare I open the box up to have a look?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Mudskipper had bees in her tit box do no little fledlings in there. We have a pair nesting up under the eaves of our house, parents are still in and out every few minutes at present so if you have young in there you should see a lot of activity going on right now.

Comment

The tits are late this year. We've got two boxes both with baby tits in at the moment. The baby starlings that were in the gables flew last week.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

They were very early last year. I think the advice is not to disturb the nest between February and August (they sometimes have
        a second clutch), although you could possibly risk a peek if you're very careful.

Monitoring your nest box | BTO - British Trust for Ornithology

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
          The tits are late this year. We've got two boxes both with baby tits in at the moment. The baby starlings that were in the gables flew last week.
          Oh... good point- I was working in my study on Friday when I heard a commotion outside - looked out and there was a flock of starlings pecking at the ground - watched them for a time and realised there were fledglings amongst them and they were watching the adults get grubs - almost like a school lesson

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            They were very early last year. I think the advice is not to disturb the nest between February and August (they sometimes have
            a second clutch), although you could possibly risk a peek if you're very careful.

Ta - i'll use my scope to take a look inside

Comment

Just opened up the box and the eggs had hatched and there is a bundle of bodies in the nest....either there was no food to feed them or something spooked the parents... bugger!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

I don't have any tits, so could I have a peek at yours?
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  Just opened up the box and the eggs had hatched and there is a bundle of bodies in the nest....either there was no food to feed them or something spooked the parents... bugger!
                  Aww. That's sad. We watched ours die one by one last year - it was very sad. Parents did remove the dead babies, but didn't bother with the last one, so I guess if there's no longer a reason to keep the nest clean, they don't bother.

Watching our bees last night - they seem to have made tunnels in the nest which they crawl in and out of. No idea how many bees there are - we've never seen more than three at a time. Not very exciting at all.

Comment

Working...
                  X