• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First Choice - Holiday Village

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Choice - Holiday Village

Anyone been on one of these holidays. The kids clubs sound great, so I was thinking of possibly booking for this summer.

I've read a number of reviews on Trip Advisor and they are so very mixed; ranging from it's full of chavs to it was the most wonderful holiday ever...

Has anyone been booked one of these holidays in the past?

They always seem to me to be geared towards families who see their kids as an inconvenience - hence the need for keeping them entertained outside of the family unit
    As you mention my expectation would be full of low rent holiday makers i.e. chavs and best avoided, but each to his own
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Not matter what holiday we have taken, expensive, hotels, campervans, lodges, gites, our own holiday home, the kids always have preferred a camp site. Where they are other kids, so they can play.

Get yourself into a cabin at Hourtin Plage, and you, and your kids, will have a ball. Much cheaper, and much more interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
        Not matter what holiday we have taken, expensive, hotels, campervans, lodges, gites, our own holiday home, the kids always have preferred a camp site. Where they are other kids, so they can play.

Get yourself into a cabin at Hourtin Plage, and you, and your kids, will have a ball. Much cheaper, and much more interesting.
        Fook me - best holidays I ever had with the kids was at Hourtin Plage...until they built the swimming pool and flooded it with chalets - still a nice part of the world though

Comment

Check what it means when it says kids club. We went on one and we were assured up to teenagers were catered for... yea, by a ping pong table and a daily game of water volleyball.. and that was it. Luckily we picked a resort with a water park attached. Evening entertainment was utter tripe though. Catered for very young kids only... If I heard the fast food song or superman again I would have screamed. Absolutely squat for anything over 12 to do. Even the Kareoke was dominated by the youngest lot.

Resort was indeed full of chavs even though it was a little more costly. Not excessively though, prolly cause of the water park.

Have to say apart from that it was well managed and clean, rep on hand and a load of trips outside the resorts if you wanted to pay etc etc....

I guess if you have toddlers it won't be an issue.

If they are not toddlers think about a cruise.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            Fook me - best holidays I ever had with the kids was at Hourtin Plage...until they built the swimming pool and flooded it with chalets - still a nice part of the world though
            We've been a few times. Went there last year with the motorhome, and the kids still think it's the best holiday ever.

Sunset still quite glorious there, and I still think it's one of the most chilled out French places I have been.

Kids idolise the place. State of hysteria this weekend when we suggested we might have to stay at home this summer to get the new pad in order...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              If they are not toddlers think about a cruise.
              But keep a careful eye on them

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-elevator.html

Cunard cruise ship worker Paul Trotter admits abusing children

Comment

Originally posted by insur View Post

I've read a number of reviews on Trip Advisor and they are so very mixed; ranging from it's full of chavs to it was the most wonderful holiday ever...
                if You are a chav then
                result = most wonderful holiday ever
                else
                result = it's full of chavs
                end if

HTH BIDI

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

Considering the cost of the holiday, I was rather surprised to read the mention of Chavs in a number of the reviews.

Perhaps I should look else where...
                  Last edited by insur; 2 June 2013, 09:20.

Comment

Originally posted by insur View Post
                    Thanks for all the replies.

I was thinking of going to Rhodes which has a 5* rating and the cost is approximately £4500 in the second week of July (2 adults and 2 kids, aged 5 and 6) which is by no means cheap.

Considering the cost of the holiday, I was rather surprised to read the mention of Chavs in a number of the reviews.

Perhaps I should look else where...
                    £4500 for a holiday is peanuts for most people. What some of the reviewers are calling chavs are builder, plumber, tradesman types that earn that in a couple of days robbing Doris of her life savings for some new uPVC windows or a new patio.

Pay in IT may be pretty appalling but in the building trade it's booming.

HTH BIDI

Comment

Working...
                    X