• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best acounting SW package ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best acounting SW package ?

Hi,

I know this crops up from time to time but I haven't seen it recently. I am looking for an accounting SW package for use with the UK tax system. I was using a spreadsheet from a previous accountant but that is no longer available to me and my current accountant doesn't supply one. I bought Quickbooks quite a few years ago but did not get round to using it.

I am looking for software that will perform all aspects of small business accounts without being too complicated. As I said I have managed with a spreadsheet up to now but it would be nice if I had something that would allow me to store suppliers' names instead of having to input them each time, ditto regular payments etc. I don't want a web based/hosted service and my accountant deals with PAYE for me so I don't really need that either. Devaluation of fixed assets would be nice to have.

Any suggestions gratefully received ,

Boo

A couple of different ones mentioned in these threads if you can dig through the online suggestions...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ac...w=1407&bih=647
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
      Hi,

I know this crops up from time to time but I haven't seen it recently. I am looking for an accounting SW package for use with the UK tax system. I was using a spreadsheet from a previous accountant but that is no longer available to me and my current accountant doesn't supply one. I bought Quickbooks quite a few years ago but did not get round to using it.

I am looking for software that will perform all aspects of small business accounts without being too complicated. As I said I have managed with a spreadsheet up to now but it would be nice if I had something that would allow me to store suppliers' names instead of having to input them each time, ditto regular payments etc. I don't want a web based/hosted service and my accountant deals with PAYE for me so I don't really need that either. Devaluation of fixed assets would be nice to have.

Boo
      IHO Freeagent wins hands down for contractor accounting.

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
        Hi,

. I don't want a web based/hosted service

Boo
        Purely out of interest - why don't you want a web based one?
        P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Originally posted by simonsjdaccountancy View Post
          Purely out of interest - why don't you want a web based one?
          Shouldn't you be testing somewhere exotic?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Shouldn't you be testing somewhere exotic?
            Not till next week....
            P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

If you don't want web based, you could go for something cheap and cheerful like VT cashbook (free).

Common slightly more sophisticated (hence not free) desktop packages include Solar accounts, Sage instant, or Quickbooks which it sounds like you've already got.

Web based FreeAgent all the way for me though.

Comment

Diyaccounting.co.uk - Excel-based package, including fixed asset depreciation

Comment

IME over the last 25 yrs...

Quickbooks used to be great until 2005. CS is worse than any you can imagine. When the Chancer of the Exchequor makes changes to VAT, QB cannot cope and it is an absolute nightmare.

I now use XERO and it is great so far. A little inflexible but your accountant can see your books, you can reconcile it direct with your bank account (although I would never do this because it entails giving it permissions that you perhaps would not want to.), but it is accurate and so far, OL help is great and the CS response is almost instant and give sensible accurate advice that when applied, actually works.
                  Last edited by tractor; 28 May 2013, 20:06. Reason: cos ppl keep moving the keys around on my keyboard and it looks like my typing is tulip

Comment

You may wish to google zedAccounts to try a free accounting package.

ZED.

Comment

Working...
                    X