• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Itinerant Visitors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Itinerant Visitors

I've lost count of the number of oddballs and misfits that have come banging on my door over the years - gipsies, travelling salesmen, gentlemen of the road - I've had them all here.

A few years ago, I went to answer a knock at the door to find an elderly couple in a state of some agitation. They explained that they had been walking but had lost their way and were anxious that they wouldn't make it back home to Bath in time for that evening's episode of Hearbeat and would I mind awfully if they came in and watched it on my TV.

My old man would have none of this when he was alive and had one of those "No hawkers, gipsies or purveyors of religious knowledge" signs afixed to the gate post at the bottom of the garden path and, as a last resort, he always kept a policeman's helmet on display inside the porch.

I found myself wishing these measures were still in place the other night When I was accosted on my doorstep by an old tinker woman who asked in a gravelly Irish brogue:

"Beggin' yer pardon mister, but I was wondering if you could help me out. Me little girl's just pappered her knickers and I was wondering if you might have a spare pair if it's not too much trouble that is".

I was just about to explain that that I didn't have much in the way of kids' undies when the 6'4" frame of her "little girl" darkened the entrance of my wisteria festooned porch clutching a can of Special Brew and leering menacingly at me.

I grabbed a pair of the wife's size 48s out of the laundry basket and sent them packing before shutting the door on them and slamming the security bolts into place.

Gave me a terrible fright it did.

I've a good mind to reinstate that sign at the bottom of the garden path - I can't help thinking it may contravene present day race relations laws though.

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
    I've lost count of the number of oddballs and misfits that have come banging on my door over the years - gipsies, travelling salesmen, ladies of the night - I've had them all here.
    FTFY
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
      I've lost count of the number of oddballs and misfits that have come banging on my door over the years - gipsies, travelling salesmen, gentlemen of the road - I've had them all here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkiix0aveRk

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        FTFY
        Certainly not. Behind the dumpsters at the local services if you want that kind of action. Or so I'm told.

Comment

This sockie is duller than Gricer.

0/10.

Comment

Whs
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              This sockie is duller than Gricer.

0/10.
              Gricer's threads are far more interesting than average. They are probably all in the top quartile of interestingness. For his part, I'd imagine he couldn't care less about My Lunch, or the regular banker-bashing threads, which are rather samey.

Comment

Fortunately we live on a hill well off the main road in a small village so don't get many uninvited callers - hawkers, Jehovah's Witlesses, burglars etc.

PS I agree with doggy styles. Keep it up MB.
                PPS How many times can we discuss the EU, immigration etc? We never convince anybody, all hard wired in the brain I reckon. Only true way to alter someone's views is a) drugs or b) a large hammer.
                PPPS Or c) Ensure that they personally actually pick up the bill for their ideals, that often works too.
                Last edited by xoggoth; 29 May 2013, 12:57.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Many years ago I actually invited two Jehovah's Witnesses into my house to discuss whatever it was they purvey. But only because they were both pleasant, fit-looking sorts in their 20s or 30s.

I'm sure there's a lesson there somewhere, if only I could put my finger on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    Many years ago I actually invited two Jehovah's Witnesses into my house to discuss whatever it was they purvey. But only because they were both pleasant, fit-looking sorts in their 20s or 30s.

I'm sure there's a lesson there somewhere, if only I could put my finger on it.
                    I had two young ladies come round, JW, both incredible lookers.

If they are representive of the crumpet at church, I'm seriously thinking of joining.

Comment

Working...
                    X