• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would Britain be like today if

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would Britain be like today if

New Labour had never came to power and the Conservatives had carried on in power?

Jobs and unemployment?
    Tax?
    House prices?
    Inflation?
    Immigrants?
    Europe?
    Wars?

Would it be fundamentally different to how it is today?

Discuss, abuse Chico etc

Taxes would probably be lower, inflation probably higher, everything else the same.

Net result? No differance.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

VAT would be 25%

Income tax lower, net result, you have more money to spend but it buys less
      I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

So may as well vote Labour next time then?

Comment

Well said

Next...
          I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Not much. Labour has ridden a wave of worldwide low inflation, higher house prices, and generally stable economy all of which would have applied to the Tories too.
            Under the Tories there would be fewer stealth taxes and a lot less new immigrants.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

No matter whom you vote for, the Government always wins.

I am in favour of the abolition of all the mainstream political partys and replacing them with the Banks instead .

So one would vote for Barclays, NatWest, Co Operative, Royal Bank of Scotland etc

Apart from shades of difference in macro economic policy eg level of interest rates etc there would be little in essence to choose between the banks manifestos.

So no real change there either.

In some ways, just perhaps the future evolution of the democratic system.

Meet the New Boss, same as the Old Boss.
              Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 18 July 2006, 13:54.

Comment

I'm in favour of voting for vegetables (a bit like the house of Lords)

Replace the Tories with Turnips and Labour with Marrow, the LibDems can be Sprouts.

Comment

I'm sure I've said this before but I think the house of commons should be run according to the rules of Just a Minute.

Party in power gets to speak untill interrupted for hesitation, deviation or repetition at which point power passes to the party that made the interruption.

Can't be any worse than it is now.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Numptycorner
                    I'm in favour of voting for vegetables (a bit like the house of Lords)

Replace the Tories with Turnips and Labour with Marrow, the LibDems can be Sprouts.
                    Would certainly be a vast improvement, that said I would be backing the British Beetroot Party.

Now they know how many sprouts it takes to fill the House of Lords ...
                    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 18 July 2006, 14:08.

Comment

Working...
                    X