• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hobbyist Advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hobbyist Advice

Ok, it’s time for a new toy (not that sort you dirty minded lot)...

I think I need a laser cutter, ok so it’s not so much as need but I want one & it would be cool to have. But this is where it all starts to go a bit hazy..I know nothing about them & have no idea what is good, bad or plain ugly, what features I need or things to avoid, what is a consumable, what needs regular replacing etc...

So I have come to the great geekfest that is CUK, as no doubt one of you has one tucked away in your man-cave somewhere, so any helpful advice would be well, helpful

My budget is circa £1.5k, it would be used mostly for leather, latex, thin sheet metal & acrylic nothing over 6mm thick.

This is the first model I found as a starter for 10

Please respond with advice, sarcasm & smut as per CUK T&C

Thanks x
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Why not just get a Stanley knife for a couple of quid?

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
      Ok, it’s time for a new toy (not that sort you dirty minded lot)...

I think I need a laser cutter, ok so it’s not so much as need but I want one & it would be cool to have. But this is where it all starts to go a bit hazy..I know nothing about them & have no idea what is good, bad or plain ugly, what features I need or things to avoid, what is a consumable, what needs regular replacing etc...

So I have come to the great geekfest that is CUK, as no doubt one of you has one tucked away in your man-cave somewhere, so any helpful advice would be well, helpful

My budget is circa £1.5k, it would be used mostly for leather, latex, thin sheet metal & acrylic nothing over 6mm thick.

This is the first model I found as a starter for 10

Please respond with advice, sarcasm & smut as per CUK T&C

Thanks x
      Dear x
      I've absolutely no experience of this kind of toy but I would be so impressed if that got through 6mm plate
      From a quick google a 35watt laser is - how shall I put it- a little on the light side power wise and may I add somewhat demeaning for a Contractors forum - you may be better off getting hold of a military grade 100kW jobbie (ask AtW for details)

Utmost kudo's for bringing this to my attention & sorry I couldn't be of more help (may be worth your while visiting a trade show for demos)

Warmest Regards x
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        Utmost kudo's
        Who or what is a kudo?
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          you may be better off getting hold of a military grade 100kW jobbie (ask AtW for details)
          Sold it to DARPA ten years ago

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            Who or what is a kudo?
            kudos
            Definition of KUDO
            : award, honour <a score of honorary degrees and … other kudos — Time>
            : compliment, praise <rarely hear that kind of kudo to men anymore — Ellen Goodman>
            Usage Discussion of KUDO
            Some commentators hold that since kudos is a singular word it cannot be used as a plural and that the word kudo is impossible. But kudo does exist; it is simply one of the most recent words created by back-formation from another word misunderstood as a plural. Kudos was introduced into English in the 19th century; it was used in contexts where a reader unfamiliar with Greek could not be sure whether it was singular or plural. By the 1920s it began to appear as a plural, and about 25 years later kudo began to appear.
            HTH
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I believe this is what you're looking for

Comment

3d printers is the way to go imo..
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                  I believe this is what you're looking for
                  That's for the pros innit...

Comment

Halo, just chop him up with an axe, and saw some bits off. then bury him.

bye bye BBG, youse was a nice guy

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X