• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to snag a permie job after contracting for ages?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to snag a permie job after contracting for ages?

OK, so, the contract market is dire. Yes, Im getting calls about some contract at either end of the country ie London or Edinburgh but, virtually nothing in between. Im also seeing lots of roles that 12 months ago would have been contract but are now being advertised as permie.

I've started applying for the permie roles as, although I've a good warchest, I dont want to fritter it away by just sitting at home doing nowt.

To date, I've not had a sniff of an interview for a permie role even where the agent has contacted me about them. Hardly surprising I know since a lot(?) of permie employers turn their noses up at 'ex contractors moving into permie' positions.

So, how do you make yourself and your contractor cv more interesting to a permie recruiter? How \ can you de contractorise your cv?
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

It's a tough one for sure, I've had calls about permie jobs lately but then again I'm not a seasoned contractor. I didn't think there would be too much of a drama but then again as you've stated it is a risk that you'd be off after a couple of months but then I'm sure that would be outweighed by having someone with stellar skills for 3-6 months.
    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Just list your projects with the client name on your CV, so it isn´t clear. Don´t say you were a contractor but obviously answer direct questions truthfully.

I got a job interview and the interviewer didn´t know I was freelance, I did correct him but we were well down the recruitment process and they were focusing "how I did in the interview process" by that stage.

By muddying the waters at least you get to be seen, I think once your "pretty face" is in the interview room they won´t care about the rest.

I mean what is a "contractor", you are an employee of your own company.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        So, how do you make yourself and your contractor cv more interesting to a permie recruiter? How \ can you de contractorise your cv?
        Make out that contracting was only a stop-gap because you couldn't find permanent employment. You hate contracting because of it's uncertainty, blah blah blah.
        Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Nice one KC - and you can add that you want to get back onto a structured career path with regular reviews and appraisals and 360 degree reviews

Comment

...and that you have missed the cut and thrust of office politics
            latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
              Make out that contracting was only a stop-gap because you couldn't find permanent employment.
              It's surprising how many people think that's the case anyway.

I went permie 2 years ago, and it didn't seem to be a problem. I think I was asked the question, but my standard response would be "If you like what you do, and don't feel like you're being undervalued, you're going to stay. Permanent or contract doesn't change that" - which is true. I left after 18 months, but that wasn't because it was a permie job, but because of the work and the direction it was taking.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by geoffreywhereveryoumaybe View Post
                Nice one KC - and you can add that you want to get back onto a structured career path with regular reviews and appraisals and 360 degree reviews
                That's taking it a step too far
                Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  OK, so, the contract market is dire. Yes, Im getting calls about some contract at either end of the country ie London or Edinburgh but, virtually nothing in between. Im also seeing lots of roles that 12 months ago would have been contract but are now being advertised as permie.

I've started applying for the permie roles as, although I've a good warchest, I dont want to fritter it away by just sitting at home doing nowt.

To date, I've not had a sniff of an interview for a permie role even where the agent has contacted me about them. Hardly surprising I know since a lot(?) of permie employers turn their noses up at 'ex contractors moving into permie' positions.

Is your area particularly niche? The general IT skills jobs market seems really buoyant - .NET, SQL, Java etc.

Comment

THe problem I found is most agents wont touch an "ex-contractor" with a bargepole as they suspect you cant find the right contract right now and will leave in a few months once a nice contract comes up. You need to convince them. How? I dont know, maybe phone them and explain why you love to go permie, and dont say its because there are no contracts out there.

Comment

Working...
                    X