• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The end of the road?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The end of the road?

It looks as though time is about to be called on another great British institution; Little Chef - purveyors of the finest road side, gut busting, cholesterol laced fayre.

link

I will be making a special point of going to my nearest branch on Saturday morning for a farewell blowout. Making sure I've consumed the regulation 8 pints of 6X the night before of course. An Olympic Breakfast isn't an Olympic Breakfast without a hangover.

I remember giving our local Wimpy Bar a similar send off a few years ago when I went in for a "Bender Brunch" and a Knickerbocker Glory. Don't know if you remember the Bender Brunch but its main ingredient was a large frankfurter type sausage with notches cut out so that it would bend to fit the shape of one's plate. But I digress...

I have to confess that I find it rather sad when these places with which one has been familiar and had an affection for all of one's life go out of business and get replaced with some global brand like Starbucks or KFC.

RIP Fat Charlie.

What happened? Did Suity do a BPM project for them or something ?

Anyway, Paging Pacharan, your thread has arrived.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Ate at a Little Chef, once and only once, what they charge for barely edible food just because they have a captive audience means good riddance in my book!

BTW Didn't Heston Bloomin-thingy do a makeover via a TV show for them a few years ago (Think it was called Big Chef meets Little Chef - a right bunch of wierdos managed/worked there if I remember rightly)

Comment

As I understand it, Heston only upgraded one branch, or a handful at most, but instead of following suit the rest ignored him.

Comment

Mixed bag for me. I've been to one or two good ones and some pretty dire ones. The place we used regularly on the A21 was passable, but it's now shut in case anyone fancied a greasy portion

Hope Costa get the sites.
          Last edited by Jubber; 29 May 2013, 16:46. Reason: Added my hopes

Comment

Im not surprised little chef have gone down the pan. They wont be the last either if others follow their model of actively turning away hungry and willing to pay customers.

Put simply, they were too snobish and only wanted a certain class of customer. I know from first hand experience that Littel Chef outlets would refuse to seat paying customers who were off a coach. Why on earth would you want to turn away 40 or 50 paying customers?

Yeah, ok, if they were football coaches I can accept that but, grannies and grandads etc?
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Little Chef has been reinvented several times over the years. Fortes owned it at one point I think. They started out in a hut about 5 miles from where I was born. Quite enjoy an Olympic Breakfast now and then, will be sad to see it go esp to a MacJunk or coffee outlet.

Comment

They were a staple of any long journey when I was a kid, they have gone downhill though. Or maybe standards and consumer expectations have risen too fast.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  Im not surprised little chef have gone down the pan. They wont be the last either if others follow their model of actively turning away hungry and willing to pay customers.

Put simply, they were too snobish and only wanted a certain class of customer. I know from first hand experience that Littel Chef outlets would refuse to seat paying customers who were off a coach. Why on earth would you want to turn away 40 or 50 paying customers?

Yeah, ok, if they were football coaches I can accept that but, grannies and grandads etc?
                  Any business with sense would have made a takeaway option for coaches of 40-50 where you get a choice of 2 meals, or have hired managers with some commonsense. Burger King, WHSmith and to a less extend Marks at the larger service stations know they can make money out of coach loads but the sit down diners in them don't .
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Good riddance.
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X