• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Custom made fitted furniture

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom made fitted furniture

Had a guy over from one of these custom made furniture companies (Str achan). They are pretty good in terms of the 3D image they generate for you, they come to your house and the quality of product looks good.

However, the price is beyond ridiculous. We are looking for a TV unit and you can get a cheap, low quality one from Ikea for £600. I was expecting something quality built to be competitive and perhaps up to 3 x that cost. What I was not expecting is a quote in the region of £6,000!

I guess I want something that is reasonable - not Ikea cheap but also not daylight robbery expensive.

Any ideas?

I had a quote for some bespoke bedroom furniture. It was on half price sale.

Quote came to £10,000 ish.

I said "A ha, but you've got 50% off at the moment haven't you?"

"That is with 50% off sir".

Comment

Shop around.

I have just had 2 double cupboards and a 3m custom desk fitted in the office and it came to £1600 (cash in hand mind). I was shocked at the price at first but the ability to pick the choices of finish and style was a big plus. They are also floor to ceiling rather than having gaps like standard. Now they are in the do look pretty swish if I don't say so myself. Quite a bit more than buying them but custom fit made it worth it in my mind.

I have to say I am struggling to get him back for a TV cabinet though. I don't think a fitted would look much different than a bought one as it doesn't need to fit in a space so the difference between free standing and snug fit isn't as much a factor.

Our guy just did a drawing by hand which was more than adequate so didn't pay for all that gubbins.

My advice would be to get a couple of guys in to do the quote for you. I am sure the price will vary wildly. The price does reflect the finish, particularly if you go for the gloss and how complex your design is but I really cannot see how anything can cost £6k. Look around the high end furniture shops and you can by some pretty outstanding stuff for less than that IMO. Don't try and compare it with IKEA sh1te though or else you will never justify the cost. Look at the high end stuff for a real comparison.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I had a quote for some bespoke bedroom furniture. It was on half price sale.

Quote came to £10,000 ish.

I said "A ha, but you've got 50% off at the moment haven't you?"

"That is with 50% off sir".

Mine had 25% off!

Comment

Can't you ask the guys who did your flooring.

Comment

How is £600 cheap and low-quality... £600 is expensive for off-the-shelf, £100 is cheap tat like Ikea/Argos!
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Breeze blocks and floor board strips.

Sorted.

Comment

i got a glass one from currys/dixons (whichever) when i boight my tv - £80 and it holds my tv, ps3, amp, speakers with room for some dvd's etc on the bottom....

what are you going to get for another £500? just some snazy doors n handles?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  i got a glass one from currys/dixons (whichever) when i boight my tv - £80 and it holds my tv, ps3, amp, speakers with room for some dvd's etc on the bottom....

what are you going to get for another £500? just some snazy doors n handles?
                  Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                  +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

If you don't have solid wood and go for foil wrapped, these people are very good. We had some custom drawer units made to match our existing wardrobes.
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                    X