• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wow - HMRC actually did a quick fix!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow - HMRC actually did a quick fix!

I'm working away at the moment, but spoke to my wife earlier who told me that HMRC had sent through a PAYE Change of Coding notice, putting me to tax code D0

Background... was through an umbrella until last September, started my Ltd in August and swapped to working through it the day after quitting the umbrella. My accountant is useless so I wasn't sure if maybe they hadn't sent in the P45 and the fact that I have my company was only flagged by the RTI submission, making them think I had two jobs.

Just phoned them - they actually picked up the phone (first surprise) within about 4 minutes (second surprise). As soon as I'd gone through the ID verification and told them about the notice the lady said "It looks like it's our error". She asked a couple of questions about whether I had two jobs, when I'd left my last employer, how much I earn (minimum + dividends), guessed that I was a director (and seemed a little surprised by me saying yes), and then again said "Our error", apologised (another surprise) and immediately changed the code to something sensible.

Wot a shocker! OK, they screwed up, but I'm very pleased with the way they fixed it. I'd presumed I'd sit on hold until the lines close at 20:00 and then be cut off, based on past experiences.

I have always found HMRC call centre to be helpful. Wrong sometimes, but helpful. I prefer calling them to BT or your average utility company.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

She probably failed to mention ticking the IR35 flag against your details ......

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
        She probably failed to mention ticking the IR35 flag against your details ......
        When I heard there was a letter from HMRC I did wonder whether it was going to be some sort of inspection seeing as the company is so new.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
          I have always found HMRC call centre to be helpful. Wrong sometimes, but helpful. I prefer calling them to BT or your average utility company.
          +1
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Oh FFS.

This morning received a note saying I'd been moved to Tax Code BR.

This time the wait time on the phone was over 30 minutes (more usual). Luckily a quick fix, but a heads up for everyone else. Apparently when my RTI submission was made this created a duplicate record, so it looked as though I had 2 employers (both my Ltd). They are now merging this again.

Who coded RTI for them?

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
              Oh FFS.

This morning received a note saying I'd been moved to Tax Code BR.
              That's BRillopad's code!!!

Comment

Working...
              X