• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bio-luminescence

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bio-luminescence

Anybody seen this?

Some years ago we tied the boat up to a pontoon before heading up to the hotel for food and drinks and noticed that any disturbance in the water caused it to glow a bright green. I must have dropped a fortune in change watching it leave a green trail as the coins sank, truly amazing. I think the phenomenon lasted for about a week. I wound up the locals telling them it was radioactivity leaking from the nearby nuclear sub base

Apparently this is quite rare inshore so perhaps I was lucky to see this.
    Me, me, me...

Yes, I've seen this from a beach near Southwold, Suffolk, and not very far out. Funny your wind up about radioactivity, because we convinced ourselves that it was something to to do with Sizewell power station further down the coast. I did find out soon afterwards that it was bio-luminescence, but it was fairly hard to do in the 1970's, before internet.

Comment

Never seen that before. I remember spending hours sweating my nuts off in a beaten up taxi to get to this lake in Senegal whose water is bright pink from the algae that live in it. Le Lac Rose. Got there to find it only did this during the winter months. I was there in August :

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
        Anybody seen this?

Some years ago we tied the boat up to a pontoon before heading up to the hotel for food and drinks and noticed that any disturbance in the water caused it to glow a bright green. I must have dropped a fortune in change watching it leave a green trail as the coins sank, truly amazing. I think the phenomenon lasted for about a week. I wound up the locals telling them it was radioactivity leaking from the nearby nuclear sub base

Apparently this is quite rare inshore so perhaps I was lucky to see this.
        typical contractor most people would use pebbles, you had to use coins.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          typical contractor most people would use pebbles, you had to use coins.
          On a boat?
          Me, me, me...

Comment

I never see fireflies and gloworms like I used to years ago.

I remember quite often meandering back from the pub down country lanes flanked by hedgerows that were a kaleidoscope of glowing red and green pinpricks of light.

Mind you, I don't drink barley wine anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
              On a boat?
              you had tied it up and were walking to the hotel?

was a poor attempt at humour though.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                you had tied it up and were walking to the hotel?

was a poor attempt at humour though.
                50 yards from a sandy beach. Alcohol was already involved.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

I never saw it myself, but I read about it a lot.
                  I also read about oriental fishermen who went out at night with lanterns.
                  The fishes were attracted to the light then easily caught

for some reason the two ideas are associated in my mind
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Is that the same as when you take a piss after having two Beroccas in a day? The toilet radiates light afterwards....
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X