• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to spend 2 Billion in 5 years

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to spend 2 Billion in 5 years

How was he smart enough to make 2 Billion, stupid enought to blow it in 5 years

I can understand Lotto winners blowing their money, but if you have earned it, I thought you would be more carefull.

Another tech guy with a model girlfriend, fit right in here.

Hundreds of millions gone! Dotcom pioneer blows fortune on extravagant mansions, failed hotels, and fine art | Mail Online
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

When I add up all the losses listed in the article they come to less than 100 mill so what happened to the other 1900 mill.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      When I add up all the losses listed in the article they come to less than 100 mill so what happened to the other 1900 mill.
      It was a paper loss - he thought his house was worth that much - he read the Daily Mail

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        My thought exactly.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

From reading through I don't think it's a case of his losing $2 billion - but rather the fact that he doesn't appear to actually pay any of his debts.

If he has managed to p**s away that much money in such a short amout of time then he is a knob of the highest calibre.

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
            From reading through I don't think it's a case of his losing $2 billion - but rather the fact that he doesn't appear to actually pay any of his debts.
            Yep, looks like cash flow problems in some of his sillier business ventures led to the debts compounding and court cases. He's a geek; perhaps he thought he could employ the unfortunately rather common IT startup practise of not bothering to pay creditors until they're desperate enough to strike a deal, but in other industries like property and hotels where there are bigger fish with bigger teeth than small IT contractors.

As it says, and these might be the most sensible words I've ever seen in the Wail;

He began investing in things outside his realm of expertise, a decision that prove to be his downfall.
            Last edited by Mich the Tester; 31 May 2013, 08:14.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

His bird is fit mind.

That's my take on the story.

Comment

I would assume most of the $1bn was only paper money, the value of stock in his company rather than actual cash in his bank.
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                X