• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CRB check????

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CRB check????

Craig Alexander: NHS director on £250,000 sacked from his job after disgruntled worker discovered he had robbed a shop at gunpoint | Mail Online

NHS director on £250,000 sacked from his job after disgruntled worker discovered he had robbed a shop at gunpoint
    Craig Alexander jailed for three and a half years in 2007 for armed robbery
    Failed to disclose conviction before landing a top job at NHS Brent
    Has now been sacked after his conviction came to light
    Held up Tesco Express at gunpoint and stole £1,250 in cash and cheques
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

I wonder what he put for that 3 1/2 year gap on his c.v.?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      Come on, you're a contractor. Think about it. Director of MyCo, HisCo, HerCo, Bloke-in-the-pubCo, plenty of ways to cover it.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        More importantly will the agent have to pay his fee back?
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Hang on, is that the same Craig Alexander that used to frequent these parts? 'Fantasist Army doctor' who treated troops is jailed | Metro News
          England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

The checks for permanent staff at the NHS are not as ridged as it is for contractors.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              The checks for permanent staff at the NHS are not as ridged as it is for contractors.
              He was a contractor. Opted out for a guess so the agency didn't do the same level of background checks and the agent just wants him in and earning as soon as possible on a grand a day.

NHS rely on their suppliers to do background checks for contractors so he slipped through the net.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                He was a contractor. Opted out for a guess so the agency didn't do the same level of background checks and the agent just wants him in and earning as soon as possible on a grand a day.

NHS rely on their suppliers to do background checks for contractors so he slipped through the net.
                Even if you are opted-in the agency won't do any more checks on you. They only seem to check you regardless of status if the client insists.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The agent should keep his money

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  More importantly will the agent have to pay his fee back?
                  Depends on how long he has worked in the job, clawbacks are typically stepped.

For senior roles, references should be taken but as I think everyone here knows, that's just arse covering, since dodgy people have dodgy mates who will say the right things if you buy them a drink.

As it happens, the mother of my god daughter started the largest background checking outfit in Britain, odds are that most people on this site have been checked by them at some point.

Before she left that business, she shared with me the economics of the system.

They charge 120-150 quid per check, for which the do a credit check, a cursory once over on your references, "media check", and go through a charade of looking at certificates.

I share the price tag here because it demonstrates several things. First, they don't invade your privacy, that's *my* job, because their fee simply doesn't buy much snooping.

Second, it's laughably easy to hack, in one of my expert witnessing assignments I demonstrated to the head of HR at a bank who'd had "issues" that not only could I get through their background checking procedures, that I could pretend to be him, personally, despite the fact that we were different ages and had very different appearances.

I got one job because the Oxford educated CIO thought that Queen Mary College where I went was at Oxford, something I only found at years later.

The internal charge for proper clearance is £25K minimum, per person and as history shows, that is far from foolproof, as the man said "you can only be betrayed by people you trust, the rest is just business".
                  My 12 year old is walking 26 miles for Cardiac Risk in the Young, you can sponsor him here

Comment

Working...
                  X