• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would Jesus do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would Jesus do?

Feel a tad bad about this...

Supermarket Petrol pumps @ 22:00 - no night cashier so pay at pump only
    Was happily filling up when a people carrier pulled up on opposite side of pump full of black people
    Driver approached me saying he didn't have a card that would work the pumps, so could he give me cash and use my card to dispense fuel to get him home

I replied it was a company card and they monitor fuel use (blatant lie) so therefore couldn't take the cash as it would cost me my job which he seemed a bit taken aback by but accepted and moved on to another

I started to feel bad about this as I have been caught in the past in a similar situation in France - without fuel late on a Sunday & in the days before our cards had chip n Pin which meant I couldn't dispense fuel, but was saved by a French man who took cash for sufficient fuel for us to reach the next 24hour services

Obviously the colour of the occupants was a factor (which it shouldn't be) and my thoughts were how could I check at that time that the cash offered was not counterfeit as part of a scam, but if a white family had asked the same question and they appeared chavvy I would have declined as well

What would others have done in this situation?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

A people carrier full of black people is a bit vague! Weere they old, young, middle aged> church goers, middle class, east londoners, welsh, nigerian?

Assuming they seemed like alright people I would have done it. I've generally found that scam artists don't take a people carrier full of people everywhere to help with their scams!
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

I suppose you could suggest you do the card payment yourself and let him fill up to the cash amount.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

A bit strange though that nobody in the full people carrier had a card to make the payment.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

you did the right thing

unfortunately in this day and age you cannot trust anyone regardless of whether they look white and chavvy, black and professional or anywhere in between.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post

What would others have done in this situation?
              I would have asked how far they were trying to get, then put that amount of fuel in their tank and paid for it myself. As a random act of kindness.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

its difficult, but its odd no one had a card in the people carrier.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  I suppose you could suggest you do the card payment yourself and let him fill up to the cash amount.
                  My concern was that the cash offered would not be legit

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    I would have asked how far they were trying to get, then put that amount of fuel in their tank and paid for it myself. As a random act of kindness.
                    In retrospect I wish I'd have let them have £20 worth - enough to get to a manned station (and a cash amount I could have lost)

Comment

Working...
                    X