• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Here we go again...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here we go again...

FFS, a few hot days and the airwaves are suddenly full of people on about climate change.

One scottish climate bloke on Radio Five has just informed us that methane is a great carbon dioxide gas.

I can remember heatwaves in 1976 and 1983, when we just sat back and enjoyed it.
    Last edited by wendigo100; 19 July 2006, 07:27.

I heard that bloke also. The best thing is, when was the hottest day, some time about 100 yeard ago. So it was hotter then!
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Climate change is a complex subject and a lot of people like to pontificate about it.

"Global Warming" does not directly relate to warmer summers in the UK, its more complicated than that. Adjunct to that pollution levels are causing global dimming which is complicating the science even farther.

Comment

It's all bollox. God controls the climate and hence I feel no guilt in owning two 6.3 litre V8's and for leaving all the house lights on 24/7

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
          It's all bollox. God controls the climate and hence I feel no guilt in owning two 6.3 litre V8's ...
          ...which you no doubt leave running all the time, even when you are not driving them.

Comment

Note how "you are" avoids the potential "your/you're" pitfall.
            We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
              I can remember heatwaves in 1976 and 1983, when we just sat back and enjoyed it.
              Note the years you mention: 1976, 1983 and then when? Now heatwave is this year, it was definately in 2003 and I'd say last year too. Perhaps its 12 year Sun activity cycle but I tell you what - I lived in (Western) Siberia for a very long time and could remember -35C days vividly because we did not have to go to school at that temp, so all kids were looking at tempreture in the morning, but by the time I was in Uni we never had any such days - winters for much much milder there, not by 1-2 degrees, but a lot more than that - at least one Xmas we had melting snow, something totally unheard of for Siberia, yet now its fairly common.

Climate is certainly changing, even if all the evidence was completely doubtful the threat of the change in my view requires taking all measures to avoid polluting, this means at the very least laws forcing everyone to switch to diesel: this would cut down dependency on oil big time and also reduce CO2 emissions big time too. Meanwhile multi-billion grants to stimulate reseach that would allow replacement of fossil fuels.

Comment

IF climate change is man made (rather than natural cycles of the Earth and Sun), car emissions are not the major cause of greenhouse gases.

The biggest producers include oil, gas and coal fired power stations.

Hence I would ban people from trying to create a Google rival that involves people leaving their PC's on to crawl and index the web.

PS Also teach cattle some manners

"There are now 1.3 billion cattle, each burping methane several times a minute."
                Last edited by DimPrawn; 19 July 2006, 08:57.

Comment

The solution is ...

... don't have kids (so they won't have to deal with it) and enjoy the rest of what remains of our environment. Top investment opportunity - invest in companies who deal with air-conditioning stuff.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                    IF climate change is man made (rather than natural cycles of the Earth and Sun), car emissions are not the major cause of greenhouse gases.
                    Car emissions, especially in the USA, play very significant part in overall CO2 emissions: switching from petrol to diesel (given modern diesel engines) is a no brainer, regardless of whether CO2 is effected positively because of high prices.

Comment

Working...
                    X