• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First dance at a wedding

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First dance at a wedding

So what did everyone whose married (or in some cases for those of you who've been up the aisle more than once) what was the first song you had on the dance floor at your wedding?

We're presently settling on Lavendar by Marillion funnily enough not my choose but the other halfs, by suggestion of the Prodigy Smack my Bitch up was met with some resistance.

What was yours?

Nb : Virgins, Squirrel botherer and Russians need not apply.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Gave ours no thought at all. I think the DJ picked it - can't even remember what it was (possibly something Phil Collins?) Our wedding was the hottest day on record (at the time) and I can still remember rivers of sweat running down the inside of my meringue gown (think Lady Di on a budget - it was 1990 and I was very young!) so dancing was the last thing that people felt like doing.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      So what did everyone whose married (or in some cases for those of you who've been up the aisle more than once) what was the first song you had on the dance floor at your wedding?

We're presently settling on Lavendar by Marillion funnily enough not my choose but the other halfs, by suggestion of the Prodigy Smack my Bitch up was met with some resistance.

What was yours?

Squeeze: Up The Junction.

I worked eleven hours
      And bought the girl some flowers
      She said she'd seen a doctor
      And nothing now could stop her

Ps. Big (original) Marillion fan myself, but Lavender? Please...
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

We didn't have a first Dance - wife not into that kind of thing, so she got her favourite dance track on and everyone went nuts.

Not one for tradition Mrs OH...

Comment

You could use For whom the bell tolls by Metallica.

Some friends of mine went for We have all the time in the World sung by Louis Armstrong from that Bond film, which I thought was very classy.

At mine we went for Perfect Day. I specifically asked for the Lou Reed version but the DJ played the Lou Reed and others version which didn't have the same level of gravitas I thought.

That was nine years ago. I remember it, Mrs Gonzo remembers it, nobody else gives a tulip now so it probably isn't really that important.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post

That was nine years ago. I remember it, Mrs Gonzo remembers it, nobody else gives a tulip now so it probably isn't really that important.
            I always think of Heroin when I hear the Lou Reed version. Was it in Trainspotters or something?

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

What was yours?

I'd say pick a song that didn't require much movement, as being the fat todge you are, you'd not want the sweat to seep out; polyester is horrid with sweat d000hg tells me.

Comment

Happy Together by The Turtles. Didn't really want to do it, but in hindsight it gave us both a chance to actually talk to each other.

We didn't have a DJ; we had a band who were very good.

Comment

Playlist for Me and MrsB. (We've both been married before and got the DJ to fit these into the playlist through the evening just to see peoples reactions)

Billy Idol - White Wedding
                  Joy Division - Love will tear us apart
                  Elvis - Suspicious Minds
                  The Smiths - Heaven knows I'm miserable now
                  Rolling Stones - It's all over now
                  Alice Cooper - Poison
                  Iron Maiden - Run to the hills
                  Joe Jackson - Is she really going out with him.
                  Whitesnake - Here I go again
                  Joe Pesci -Take your Love and shove it
                  Sex Pistols - Silly Thing
                  The Clash - Should I stay or should I go?
                  Bon Jovi - You give love a bad name
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I've played in various wedding bands over the years and one song that got asked for repeatedly was that bloody Brian Adams 'Everything I Do' song. Playing/singing it made me want to rip my own tongue out with a pair of rusty pliers. Love is all around (Wet Wet Wet version) was another vomit-inducing piece of tulip that the unlucky couple would delight in choosing. Played a wedding a few weeks ago where they wanted some Hootie & The Blowfish number, that was different to the norm.

If you're getting a Marillion track, don't make it bloody Lavender though.... Clutching at Straws would be better
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                    X