• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I fancy taking the summer off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I fancy taking the summer off

I've really been struggling to be motivated at the role I started earlier this year. One of the BA's is a tit, the project is not really being run that well, and it will get canned; I just don't really want to be there to be honest.

But the rate is magic, they've said, regardless, I will be there until September at least and I am allowed to work from home 2/3 days a week.

But I can't shift the abject laziness I get when in work, it's as though I am willing them to let me go. I have never, ever had this before, and am wondering should I simply quit and avoid being let go (never happened to me before), spend the summer on the bench, or milk it until they do let me go, for I can't believe my performance will not have been noted, or rather the lack of it.

I've started drinking too, which can't be a good sign.

Anyone else had this in a role? I feel depressed there...

I thought you were a farmer now?

Comment

Could it be your mind is preoccupied with the farm purchase and the project you are on is taking a back seat?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
        Anyone else had this in a role? I feel depressed there...
        Every second of every fookin day... only positive is that I work from home 4 out of 5 days
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I don't know what it is, but that's a good start.

I'll not be a fermier, as such, for a good few years, as the idea is to be mortgage free, with a small income from a couple or three flats. We're going to be mortgage free come September, but still need the income to buy a few flats, so that's going to take a little while. Until then, we'll be smallholders, selling to local restaurants and people I think, mainly ducks, but Turkeys in season (very, very, very easy money are the turkey...).

Comment

Would you be able to negotiate a part time contract with current client. I like to try to work two or three days per week over the summer.

Comment

Yes leave.
              Give them a (voluntary) 1 month's notice, and get out.
              Assuming you are financially OK, which you seem to be, no contract is worth more than your physical (drinking) or mental (feeling depressed) health. Especially if this is the first time you've felt this way about a contract.

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
              But the rate is magic, they've said
              They said that?
              Last edited by KentPhilip; 3 June 2013, 08:30.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                Yes leave.
                Assuming you are financially OK, which you seem to be, no contract is worth more than your physical (drinking) or mental (feeling depressed) health. Especially if this is the first time you've felt this way about a contract.
                WHS.

You need the summer off. It's going to be a scorcher!

Enjoy life!

Comment

I'd walk right now from my place if not for the massive carrot that is dangling at the end of November. The bastards know my weakness!
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                    Yes leave.
                    This is the way I am leaning...

Comment

Working...
                    X