• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question to freelancers in Germany

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question to freelancers in Germany

I will be a German tax resident (can’t avoid the 183 days rule) and trying to decide whether to go as a freelancer or register a UG (an equivalent UK limited).

I am inclined to go as a freelancer but concerned with my 2013/14 tax situation. I understand that as a freelancer I will have to declare all of my income in Germany in the year I earn it. This will be already high enough to take me into the 42% tax bracket. This is clear.

What happens to the UK income in the same financial year? As I also own a UK limited, I’ve just taken £30k in dividends (which is tax free as per UK tax rules) for the work performed in the last financial year. Will the German taxman want a slice of that?
    Also, what happens if I liquidate my UK company and pay the 10% entrepreneur tax on the money which are currently there? Will I need to pay any additional tax in Germany on that?

I am getting a professional advice from international tax advisors in Germany but, if someone has got personal experience to share, it would be really appreciated.

Be afraid, be very afraid!

Google 'lifting the veil of incorporation' - UK specific but might have a German knock-on effect...

Comment

Working...
    X