• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is Happenning in Istanbul?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is Happenning in Istanbul?

I could swear I've seen this thread here already, but now I can't find.
    I went to BBC and nada, so here you go again:
    What is happening in istanbul?

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    I went to BBC and nada
    Quite a lot here

Comment

are we going to arm the rebels?
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
        Quite a lot here
        That article misses nearly every trigger point from last week off the article.

The things missing from last week are:-

Ban on alcohol sales within 100m of schools and Mosques. This is supposedly on health grounds until the PM made a slip on Tuesday and said it was on religious grounds.

Istanbul's third Bosphorus Bridge was given the name of the Sultan Selim Bridge (its named after the 3rd Sultan also known as Selim the Grim). Someone described it as the equivalent of calling a park over a redundant mine shaft Maggie Thatcher Park.

There are of course multiple other issues but it really boils down to the fact that the average City dwelling Turk is seeing things move rapidly in a direction they don't like away from Europe towards the Middle East.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

There are of course multiple other issues but it really boils down to the fact that the average City dwelling Turk is seeing things move rapidly in a direction they don't like away from Europe towards the Middle East.
          Yep, although they might see their economic future in the Middle East and Asia, urban Turks and the army are very protective of the secular state and Ataturk is still highly revered for his role in creating it; you see his portrait all over the place in Istanbul and it's a political statement that says 'religion belongs at home and in the mosque, not in civic life'.

Talked to a Turkish guy here who says there are not only secular Turks, but lots of muslims and even imams among the protestors who don't want the government interfering with their faith. He thinks Erdogan's going to have to give in as the army are strongly on the side of the secular state, at least the regiments stationed in and around the major cities are Kemalists and will hesitate to defend religious dictates by the government. He already had political troubles with the army in the last few years and imprisoned some senior officers to replace them wth his own chums, but that doesn't get te army on his side.

Basically, Erdogan's AK Party have won successive elections because they're credited with turning a fooked economy into Europe's fastest (or even only) growing economies and people are really noticing improvements in their wealth. But Taksim square is a symbol of secular freedoms, and he should leave well alone.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            Yep, although they might see their economic future in the Middle East and Asia, urban Turks and the army are very protective of the secular state and Ataturk is still highly revered for his role in creating it; you see his portrait all over the place in Istanbul and it's a political statement that says 'religion belongs at home and in the mosque, not in civic life'.

Talked to a Turkish guy here who says there are not only secular Turks, but lots of muslims and even imams among the protestors who don't want the government interfering with their faith. He thinks Erdogan's going to have to give in as the army are strongly on the side of the secular state, at least the regiments stationed in and around the major cities are Kemalists and will hesitate to defend religious dictates by the government. He already had political troubles with the army in the last few years and imprisoned some senior officers to replace them wth his own chums, but that doesn't get te army on his side.

Basically, Erdogan's AK Party have won successive elections because they're credited with turning a fooked economy into Europe's fastest (or even only) growing economies and people are really noticing improvements in their wealth. But Taksim square is a symbol of secular freedoms, and he should leave well alone.
            Fook I'm old enough to remember Turkey under the last military regime
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Having visited non-tourist Turkey several times, normally during Ramadam, I'm quite interested in seeing how this plays out.

Many of the Turks in the cities are far less devout than Muslims in this country and don't have a chip on their shoulder either. I've been to several religious festivals in Turkey during the fast period and I've found the juxtaposition between the secular and the religious very interesting. Sometimes I've thought they've got the balance just right, other times I've had the feeling I've been sitting on a powder keg.

Don't underestimate the Turkish Army in this (and in that I include the police and security forces generally). Make no mistake, they will take action if they feel a line is going to be crossed and I would not be surprised if the people in this instance would be behind them.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                Having visited non-tourist Turkey several times, normally during Ramadam, I'm quite interested in seeing how this plays out.

Many of the Turks in the cities are far less devout than Muslims in this country and don't have a chip on their shoulder either. I've been to several religious festivals in Turkey during the fast period and I've found the juxtaposition between the secular and the religious very interesting. Sometimes I've thought they've got the balance just right, other times I've had the feeling I've been sitting on a powder keg.

Don't underestimate the Turkish Army in this (and in that I include the police and security forces generally). Make no mistake, they will take action if they feel a line is going to be crossed and I would not be surprised if the people in this instance would be behind them.
                I was in Istanbul at new year a few years ago; in Ortakoy, in a big square between a mosque, a synagogue and a church there was a free rock concert by Aylin Aslim (sort of Anatolian/Goth rock singer and quite fit, and rich to boot; what more could a man want?), beer tents all around and lots of fun was had. Indeed, a juxtaposition, but it seems to be one with which urban Turks are comfortable. Agreed, a lot depends on the army and I suspect they won't be eager to step in on Erdogan's side.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Just Googled Aylin Aslim. Oho yes.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Good luck to the protesters. Riots may damage the economy unfortunately but then so would an Islamist government eventually. You can't kill personal freedoms without killing initiative.

PS I hitchhiked there in the late sixties, pretty poor then, market stalls were selling used tooth brushes. It was noticeable how small the people all were.
                    Last edited by xoggoth; 4 June 2013, 09:10.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X