• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Outside then inside

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outside then inside

Just as a matter of interest; if you were in a contract that was outside IR35 and you were claiming dividends with a small PAYE salary etc, then the next contract you won was reviewed and deemed as inside, what could you do to remain risk free?
    Switch over to full PAYE for the duration of the contract?
    This is on the assumption that the agency couldn't change the contract or perhaps you wanted the work.
    Sorry if its an obvious one but I have just set up a ltd and have had varied contract terms in the past, but was with an umbrella therefore never came across the issue.

Originally posted by Grim Reaper View Post
    Just as a matter of interest; if you were in a contract that was outside IR35 and you were claiming dividends with a small PAYE salary etc, then the next contract you won was reviewed and deemed as inside, what could you do to remain risk free?
    This is on the assumption that the agency couldn't change the contract or perhaps you wanted the work.
    Sorry if its an obvious one but I have just set up a ltd and have had varied contract terms in the past, but was with an umbrella therefore never came across the issue.
    Have never been inside IR35 but that's the idea. However, if you've already hit the higher rate threshold in that year you are going to be hammered on Tax / NI. May be worth considering putting deemed salary value (especially if a short one) into a pension? IANAA etc. etc.

Comment

It wouldn't quite be 'full PAYE' - There is a 5% allowance and certain expenses that can be decucted before you arrive at the amount to be paid as salary.

I understand you are new to contracting through a limited company. If you haven't already, look into registering for the VAT flat rate scheme.

I hope this helps.

Martin

Comment

Thank you Martin.
        So you can switch between full PAYE (inside) and then back to PAYE plus divs, when the next compliant contract comes along and end up with a hybrid accounting model come year end ? OR would an investigation nail you for being inside all along due to dabbling with both ?
        As you know HMRC look beyond the written contract as they can be adjusted to disguise the fact that I'm using raiding my clients stationary cupboard and drinking their tea all day.

Comment

Yes you can. IR35 is on a contract by contract basis so you will have to account differently for each. Not too dissimilar to being permie for part of the year and then switching to Contractor. Just because you were permie it has no basis on the status of your contract etc. Nothing wrong with having a mix during the year as long as your accounts have been prepared properly.

If you have set up an LTD you should have engaged an accountant. Sit down with him and he will be able to advise the best way to approach this including ideas like OG's
          Last edited by northernladuk; 5 June 2013, 16:05.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thank you Martin.
            So you can switch between full PAYE (inside) and then back to PAYE plus divs, when the next compliant contract comes along and end up with a hybrid accounting model come year end ? OR would an investigation nail you for being inside all along due to dabbling with both ?
            As you know HMRC look beyond the written contract as they can be adjusted to disguise the fact that I'm using raiding my clients stationary cupboard and drinking their tea all day.
            You're welcome!

It is fine to have two separate contracts even if the IR35 status of one contract is different from the other. In terms of an investigation, each contract will be judged in its own right.

There would be no different accounting treatment. However, the detailed profit and loss may look slightly odd for a contractor as there it would normally show either a very small salary (non-IR35) or a high salary (IR35). In the circumstances you mention, the salary could be anywhere inbetween depending on the timing of the contract change and the company's yearend etc.

You are correct in saying HMRC would look at the working practices aswell as the written contract!

Martin

Comment

Working...
            X